Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #1 
ebettalover963

I Don't know what happened

My Betta Chan is lazy, skinny, and doesn't appear to eat except today I cleaned out gravel and found food whole Possibly depressed color faded Housing
What size is your tank? 0.5 gallons *hangs head*
What temperature is your tank?N\A
Does your tank have a filter?no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated?no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
a skum sucker thingy

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra Betta pro floating mini pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day three pellets

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once every other week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? N\A

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He's been this way since I got him 3 weeks ago
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? got a little activer yesterday
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? N\A got him from Walmart
ebettalover963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #2 
lelei

Hello, and welcome, I think the problem is the (algae eater) taking up some space, and creating an ammonia problem, in a tank less than a gallon or 2 at best those things are not recomended, and it would be best to provide a heater, and get a thermometer to see what the tank temp is at..
Also if you get a 2 gal critter keeper, to give your fishy more room (add the heater) fishy should recover, sounds like he's cold, I hear they become lethargic in the cold water..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #3 
dbooknook

Agreed with Leilei.
dbooknook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #4 
Hodor

I agree... critter keepers are great and inexpensive (about 10-15 dollars depending how big you go... medium is probably the minimum though). Walmart sells heaters for $15 and a thermometer is about $2-3. You should probably try to find a new home for the algae eater. Do water changes more often (2x a week is good). Also, are you not using a water conditioner? Where do you get your water from?
Hodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #5 
ebettalover963

its my sisters alge eater coming out hopefully in a matter of hours, tap water but it sits , no I don't use water conditioner, next time I make a run to walmat or petco probably next week I'll see if i can get a heater for him, water changes more often got it
Thanks
Old 06-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #6 
LionCalie

1/2 gallon bowl cleaned every two weeks is not nearly frequent enough. In something that size I would be going water changes daily. Ammonia builds up very quickly, especially since the Betta is not alone.

I agree with everyone else that you need to upgrade to a bigger size as soon as you can.

You also really need to figure out the temperature of the water by purchasing a aquarium thermometer. Betta fish are tropical and do best around 76 F - 82 F.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #7 
Aus

Yeah.. two fish in a half gallon, changed once a fortnight are -going- to get sick. No two ways about it. And on top of ammonia poisoning, there's chlorine poisoning from no conditioner. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing you here, as at least you're here asking questions and finding out info, and we all make mistakes as beginners. But that betta is going to be in pretty bad shape, IMO it's a miracle he's still kicking now. Lots of clean, conditioned water in his own tank by himself and fresh water every two days (every day might add to his distress right now) for a while will maybe pull him through. Maybe purchase some aquarium salt (it's special salt from the fish store, not table salt) in case he gets worse. Salt can help ease symptoms of exposure to toxins, there's stickies on using it as a medication here (it shouldn't be added to the tank all the time).

ETA: Also, a product called Stress Coat could -really- help him heal the damage from no conditioner. It's really worth the price.

If he thrives and doesn't get sicker - great! I really hope he does, but realistically, he's been through a lot so don't be surprised if he does get sicker - please do ask for help if he does.. lots of knowledgeable folks here.

That said, fish have miraculously lived through worse, and he seems like a tough little guy! Good on you for looking for solutions, I hope you stay to read all the great info here on betta care.

Last edited by Aus; 06-07-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #8 
ebettalover963

thanks for the help
Old 06-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #9 
ebettalover963

He's starting to pull around I don't know what happened
Old 06-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #10 
iElBeau

I have my fish in a half gallon (my update to a new tank was delayed, but I'm buying his 10G today) and he's been there 6 months. Hes been happy, but I'll give you some pointers on how to make the most of it:
Only the Betta
Water change at very least once a week if you're really busy, but more preferable every other day. Two or three times a week is good - every day is too stressful unless you do a partial water change of about 25%. Now if you do that, make sure you still do 100% multiple times a week, the 25% is only for in between days.
Check his water temp with any thermometer you have. Make sure it's clean. Don't use soap or any cleaning product though. If you don't have one anywhere, stick your finger in. Is it cold? Is your fish lethargic and lazy? Is he not eating? If it feels lukewarm that's ok. Makeshift heater: stick a desk lamp with an incandescent light bulb in it over his tank, with the bulb about 4 inches away from the top of the water. Do you have a space heater? Use that placed under the table he's on at night, at full temp, and it should help maintain the temp with minor fluctuation.
Play with him. Get him to say hello when you come feed him, talk to him a few times a day, play music (quietly) when you're in the room, and put a mirror up once or twice a day for 5 to 10 minutes, making sure he doesnt ram Into the side of his tank.

Now none of this is a replacement for a proper tank, heater, filter, and adequate stimulation, but its ok as a temporary arrangement. Make sure you use water conditioner, and age his water at least 24 hours by setting it in a large measuring cup or jug over night.

(note, my fish wasn't in need of the heat trick - which is unstable but better than nothing- because in my residence I had a heater built into the counter top he resided on, and yes I checked his temperature about 5 times a day and it was stable. I had to do this for a week recently though because i just moved back home, hence the 10 G I'm getting today)

Anyways, that should help him feel a little better. Good luck!
iElBeau is offline   Reply With Quote