Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #11 
Bounce

Okay. Took me a while to find the filter, take the photos, upload them, etc. I'm old. Gimme a break.

To remove the carbon from your filter:

1. Separate the cartridge from the top part. Just hold each end and pull apart.

2. Then, pull the bottom out of the cartridge to remove the sponge and carbon.

3. You'll see where the little carbon basket is held on by the strips of black plastic. Just pop the strips out of the little groves on the basket and viola! You've removed the carbon.

As far as how I cleaned mine, I would just follow the above steps to remove the sponge and gently squeeze it out in the old tank water I had removed during the water change. I would squeeze it once or twice and brush off any gunk and then put it all back together.

I can't remember now how often I would replace the whole cartridge, but when it begins to look old and worn out, you can buy replacement cartridges at Petsmart.

I'm not sure if just leaving the carbon in all the time is harmful or not. I've just always removed mine due to having live plants and not wanting the carbon to absorb any of the nutrients they need. I only use carbon after medicating or to remove tannins.

I'm glad Crusoe is feeling back to his old self again!
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #12 
FishyFishy89

OH!
i had the same one in my 2.5 gallon with Fishy. Great lil filters.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #13 
lelei

Oh no Sivan, not again.. I was wondering how ur lil guy was doing, I remember you thinking u saw the parasites.. wow again ~ I hope after taking this out maybe will make a difference.. poor lil guy.. I sure hope he gets better:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #14 
Bounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
OH!
i had the same one in my 2.5 gallon with Fishy. Great lil filters.
They really are great! I think now that I've dug it back out, I'm going to go ahead and put it in my 10 gal just for the extra filtration.

I do remember now the only thing I didn't like about it and probably the reason I switched to a regular old sponge filter -- the suction cups! They are STRONG! LOL
Old 06-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #15 
lelei

Btw..if you PM OFL which I am not sure if you did last time, but she will most likely be able to point you in the right direction of treatment.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #16 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
They really are great! I think now that I've dug it back out, I'm going to go ahead and put it in my 10 gal just for the extra filtration.

I do remember now the only thing I didn't like about it and probably the reason I switched to a regular old sponge filter -- the suction cups! They are STRONG! LOL
yeah they are
the top/bottom pieces would often detach when i was removing to clean around it.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #17 
Sivan

Thanks guys! unfortunately, my internet is almost always down so I cannot even look up answers or use the forums that much. It is SO frustrating! I thought I could not remove that box at all because the hooks clip on. I had a hard time getting the sponge back in without the box so I reattached it. I will try removing the carbon. In fact, I am going to remove everything but the filter, heater, thermometer and his plastic plant (it would be too dangerous to break up that love affair) and after a few days of good health, I will slowly add things like gravel and hiding places until I can eliminate all possibilities.

What I thought were parasites was actually his slime coat coming off...so I stopped the last dose of treatment. He IS a healthy boy. Something just keeps putting him off. I will place him into his proper tank after his tail heals. He managed to shred it on a removed decoration...which is a shame because it is SO nice. I need a new natural looking stump/log/wood now.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #18 
Bounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivan View Post
...I had a hard time getting the sponge back in without the box so I reattached it. I will try removing the carbon...
Are you putting it back in with the lower two suction cups facing towards the back? (The "back" being the side facing away/opposite of the side that has the blue sliding flow adjustment.) It will only go back in one way. If you notice, the two black plastic strips alongside the sponge are just slightly off center. They don't run right down the middle. There's little ridges inside the cartridge that are slightly to one side also. The strips and the ridges have to line up. If you don't slide it back in the right way, it will not push up in there flush. I know because almost every time I would get mixed up and try to put it in the wrong way. haha If you have it turned the right way, it should just slide back in easily.

I suppose you could cut out the grid area in the carbon basket with a dremel tool or poke a hole in it with a screwdriver or something and empty the carbon out.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #19 
Sivan

I got it in but now its making noise.

His poop is consistently green and swirly but I think its because of his green pellet food.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote