Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #431 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
The only thing I hate is when people hate someone for having a certain number of kids. They don't base it on wether the kids are taken care of, just the #.

Like everytime we go to walmart (like I said my mom has 5 kids) people STARE. And it is really annoying. We are thankful- my parents don't get any financial help for us, we have nice clothing, were well fed, I don't see why people have a problem with the fact that there are 5 of us. if we were walking around in scraggly clothes, messy hair and an unpleasant smell, I get it. xD but that's not who we are.
That REALLY bothers me, too. I hate leech families like described earlier, who have children just to accept tax payer money, but there should be ZERO issues with a large family that supports itself.

I would have serious trouble putting my child on medications, as well, because they cause so many problems outside of the original issue. I'd rather try to get to the root of the problem and eliminate that issue if possible and first try natural alternatives. Seizures, are a whole other ballgame, though, as it's so important that they be prevented. :(

I think there's a lot of misdiagnosis with ADD/ADHD flying around and a lot of over medication for it. If doctors had had their way, I'd have been on pills for ADD. My mother refused, and I didn't need medications. I wasn't a behavior problem or disruptive and I got all As all through school. But I occasionally bounced off the walls. What child doesn't? Seems like most intelligent people are diagnosed as having ADD. Keep in mind, people who don't have ADD take ADD medicine just to focus for exams and such (there's a HUGE black market here at my university for that). They affect everyone that way, but that doesn't mean everyone should be on them.

I know a few people who say, "He has ADD/ADHD," as an excuse for their child being poorly behaved and that REALLY bothers me. Self-control goes a long way, and if a 14 year old gets crumbs all over a freshly cleaned floor then refuses to clean them up, that's not a reason to shout, "He has ADD!"
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #432 
Laki

I read about the over-prescription fad for Ritalin and other ADD/ADHD medicines in my Drugs course for Psych. Once the rx drugs were in control of the government the way they are now, companies just went ballistic developing and turning out chemically based drugs.
More natural drugs such as from the coca plant, poppy plant, marajuana plant, and some cacti are suddenly illegal. Yes they have their side effects and possible dependency/abuse but controlled drugs on the pharmacopeia like Ritalin and everything under the sun down to Tylenol can have worse side effects on kidneys and livers and brain. o.o It stopped making so much sense to me; The drug problem of the Western world.
I try to be as holistic as possible. I found out that swimming laps greatly reduces me lbp but hurts my shoulders. I can live with the difference in pain!
Ivan, my bf has chronic acid reflux as well. What kind of surgery did your bf undergo?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #433 
kfish

Pharmaceutical companies have HUGEHUGEHUGE lobbying power. There are SO MANY cheap, natural alternatives to all kinds of medications, but no one knows about them because of that lobbying power.

If anyone's interested in reading more about natural/alternative medicines, this guy has some great articles: www.mercola.com
Just search for whatever you want to know about. :P

Here's one about ADHD diagnosis/natural treatments: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...have-adhd.aspx

Last edited by kfish; 06-24-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #434 
Laki

Thanks for the link!
Yes pharmacies make it easier to get meds so people don't think of (or don't bother) looking for safer alternatives.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #435 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Ivan, my bf has chronic acid reflux as well. What kind of surgery did your bf undergo?
It was called a Nissic (not sure how you spell it but thats how it sounds Nes-sick) procedure. Its a liposcopric surgery (only make 5 small incisions on the belly and work with cameras and such). What they do it take that extra bit of stomach (the part off to the side that produces the most acid) and wrap it around the tube where it enters the stomach. The LES (its a flap that allows things to come up from the stomach- air food acid) is what is the actual problem and this reinforces it so it works a lot better, along with shutting down the most acid producing part of your stomach.
If his stomach has herniated his diaphragm (come up through the part of the diaphragm that holds it down-from too much vomiting) then they'll staple that back together, which takes up to 5 years to fully heal. During which time you cannot dry heave otherwise you'll tear the staples out.

My bf was in bad shape though. He was on the strongest antacids they had at the time and the doctors told him if he didn't get this surgery all that acid was sure to cause some form of cancer in his esophagus in the next 5 years (that'd be before he was 30 non the less). He also couldn't drink milk, pop, juice of any kind, alcohol, anything slightly spicy, fresh fruit (he'd have an apple occasionally but that still gave him problems) and a bunch of other things I can't remember at the moment. He also developed anemia and an iron deficiency.
If your bf feels really really sick try eating celery, or eat it pre-emptively to acidic foods. It so alkaline it counteracts the acid. During the end there thats the only way we could get him out of the anemia. He had to eat a stick of celery before everything but it really helped.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #436 
AngelicScars

Yep, doctors are quick to medicate and people are quick to take it because, "It's what the doctor told me to do." People need to realize you can question the doctor or even refuse. You need to find out what's best for you, doctors aren't always right.

My son's pediatrician prescribed an anti-seizure med for my son before we went to the Neurologist. I started researching immediately and did not like what I was reading about this medication. On top of that, he'd have to have regular blood tests because of what the medication can do to your body. They didn't even test his blood before I was to start the medication. I decided not to give it to him until we met with the neurologist. He ended up having another seizure before then and we ended up at the ER. THAT is when the ER doc spoke back and forth with the neurologist and had him put on DIFFERENT medication. I researched that one and it wasn't even close to being scary like the other. When we finally met the Neuro I told her I wasn't comfortable putting him on the first medication and she was glad we didn't start him on it. She said she didn't like the medication either and also thought it was rather scary.
Sometimes you have to trust your gut.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #437 
Rosso1011

I have to agree with you on the medication issue. Doctor's have put me on some stuff with some pretty scary side effects for my issues with insomnia. I already had a medication that worked well with few side effects but the one doctor was worried about my high tolerance to the medication. In the end, they ruled that the medication I was on, was the best medication for issues with sleep.

In the meantime, I had been given an antidepressant that not only did not help with the sleep issue but caused me pain in my limbs when I laid down and I was clinging to the walls when I tried to get out of bed (I could barely stand at all). The next medication they put me on eventually started causing horrible night terrors and I eventually ended up getting sick and had virtually no energy to get out of bed.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #438 
dramaqueen
Banned

They must have had you on some strong stuff.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #439 
xShainax

Without my meds, My RLS gets really really bad
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #440 
kfish

Ohh wow. I've known a few people on antidepressants and all of them felt better without them and gained tremendous weight while on them. Another person had a trial of one and said it was the single worst night of his life. Similar to what you described and he felt horribly depressed.