Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #471 
teeneythebetta

I miss living up north. I'm from Ohio. I havent gone back for 5 years! My sister went up there with my grandparents- she's there now. I wanted to go but it's hard because I take care of my 2 dogs, 2 cats and my fish all myself. My mom knows ZERO about fish care, and although she wouldn't take BAD care of my Cat's and dogs, she spends most of her time taking care of all my siblings that it would be hard for her to give them the care the way I give it to them. Plus id be heartbroken leaving them for 3 weeks. Theyre my kids ;) <3
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #472 
lvandert

lol we're heading there for a week on Friday. I'm so excited, it'll be m first and only time there this month. Our roomie is going to take care of the fish and bird. unfortunately I think he's going to kill my baby fish. I attempted breeding and I currently have two little guys but I doubt they'll make the full week
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #473 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
lol we're heading there for a week on Friday. I'm so excited, it'll be m first and only time there this month. Our roomie is going to take care of the fish and bird. unfortunately I think he's going to kill my baby fish. I attempted breeding and I currently have two little guys but I doubt they'll make the full week
Awe I'm sorry. :( I wish them luck, I wish I could fish sit them >.<
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #474 
lvandert

well I'm going to give them a fighting chance thats for sure. I'm going to move them into a half filled 20 gallon full of fresh water. and then leave detailed instructions on how to feed and add a gallon of water every other day I'm gone.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #475 
AngelicScars

I was late to the scars talk! My proudest scar would be the c-section scar, mommy battle wounds!
Then I have a nice one on my temple that I need 21 stitches for. I also have one on my back from surgery and I have them on both knees from being a tom boy!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #476 
cjayBetta

I have a csection scar as well... Also i have scars from having my galbladder removed.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #477 
lvandert

that is one thing I have yet to get, lol. A man made scar on purpose. I have just about everything else though
Old 06-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #478 
Leeniex

Quote:
I was helping a friend clear some wild bats out of the shutters on his house and we made it into a game to try to catch one. Well we caught it but it bit my pinky finger. My mom made me soak my hand in ammonia water for a half hour while I made it bleed.
Geez! Bats are the only animals that can carry rabies without getting sick from it. More people get rabies from bats than any other animal. If I was your mom, you would have been at the hospital, lol.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #479 
lvandert

my parents are avoid the doctor like the plauge, and not because their like "oh use this all natural healing" thing, no they just don't like them. So when we got sick or injured to the point where we wanted to go to the doctor (which for kids is pretty dang sick) they would say "oh lets give it 3 days and see how you are then" Heck they let my brother get double pneumonia before they took him in (started in just one lung) and they let my sister have the chickenpox for a week when she was 18 before taking her to the doctor. Unfortunately, in that chapter of child care, my parents sucked. I learned how to take care of my self pretty dang fast
Old 06-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #480 
Laki

Quote:
It was called a Nissic (not sure how you spell it but thats how it sounds Nes-sick) procedure. Its a liposcopric surgery (only make 5 small incisions on the belly and work with cameras and such). What they do it take that extra bit of stomach (the part off to the side that produces the most acid) and wrap it around the tube where it enters the stomach. The LES (its a flap that allows things to come up from the stomach- air food acid) is what is the actual problem and this reinforces it so it works a lot better, along with shutting down the most acid producing part of your stomach.
If his stomach has herniated his diaphragm (come up through the part of the diaphragm that holds it down-from too much vomiting) then they'll staple that back together, which takes up to 5 years to fully heal. During which time you cannot dry heave otherwise you'll tear the staples out.

My bf was in bad shape though. He was on the strongest antacids they had at the time and the doctors told him if he didn't get this surgery all that acid was sure to cause some form of cancer in his esophagus in the next 5 years (that'd be before he was 30 non the less). He also couldn't drink milk, pop, juice of any kind, alcohol, anything slightly spicy, fresh fruit (he'd have an apple occasionally but that still gave him problems) and a bunch of other things I can't remember at the moment. He also developed anemia and an iron deficiency.
If your bf feels really really sick try eating celery, or eat it pre-emptively to acidic foods. It so alkaline it counteracts the acid. During the end there thats the only way we could get him out of the anemia. He had to eat a stick of celery before everything but it really helped.
Thanks! I'll talk to him more about it. He isn't that bad, we can drink beer and he drinks orange juice (bc he thinks drinking water and eating celery is a waste of time bc there is no nutritional value ) But he often lays in bed unable to sleep because of the acid and he always complains about it, he takes a couple Zantac pills a day and tums. The zantac isn't the best thing he can take but he's convinced its the only thing that works (and his dad buys them in NS and mails them down, so I think he's afraid of losing that free deal if he switches)

Also, I think bats are adorable. We have them here but not in the city. One was hanging outside a Zellers store once and it freaked people out.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote