Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #1 
Shiverdam

Water changing guilt?

I always feel so terrible when I have to give my boys a water change, and it means I'll be ruining a nice bubblenest they've put together.

Atlas made his first bubblenest recently and his next water change is tomorrow. I woke up this morning and it was even BIGGER than it was yesterday! Talk about guilt. I hate having to ruin their little architectural marvels.
Shiverdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #2 
Aus

Cleo turns from solid red to --white-- almost transparent. In fact, her tail end is transparent, that's how pale she goes when I cup her for water changes. Every single time.. No stress stripes at all. Just her colour literally vanishes from fins, body, the lot.

Under a minute back in the tank, and she's bright red again, happy as a clam.

But wow, I feel awful seeing her so pale. I almost flipped the first time, thought I'd killed her or something.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I ruin so many bubble nests. My fish always rebuilds them..
Gilbert also gets washed out every time I cup.. His red turns clearish brown. I did upgrade him to a cycled tank so he wouldn't need to be cupped anymore, obviously not possible for everyone. But the nests are still ruined when I start vacuuming.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #4 
Jupiter

One of my boys is a prolific bubble blower, so I always feel bad about ruining all his hard work too...but he always makes another one soon after.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #5 
ZackyBear

Mine avoids being cupped, as if I was going to eat him or stuff another offending bloodworm in his tank. After water changes he doesn't build another nest until I leave for work , lol
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #6 
Shadyr

I'm starting to think mine have given up on nests

But they still dance and flare for me, so it's all good! On the water changing, Ghost about gave me a fit last water change, I got called out of the room after taking the cover off and removing half the water in his tank....when I came back to finish the change a few minutes later, I could NOT find him, like anywhere. It's a 2.5 G...seriously, how many spots ARE there to hide??? I thought he'd managed to jump out or something, was searching the counter, the floors...I finally saw him barely peek out from behind his ornament and then dash back into hiding. I think I might have called him a couple of names other than his own, and possibly called his parentage into question.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote