I could really use some help with treating my betta!!
My female betta has had a bulge on the size of her body for about 2 months. I've done research online, and it seemed like she had dropsy. I know a sign of dropsy is if the scales "pinecone", but when I look at her from the top, I can't tell if they really are, or if I'm just imagining it since I've read that that is a sign.
However, it's been over two months, she's still living, and she acts completely fine. She's feisty, she always swims up to anyone who stands in front of her tank, and she's eager to eat.
My main question is:
could it still be dropsy even though she has survived this long with no apparent improvement?
I took her to Petco yesterday (in a cup- the workers there must have thought I was crazy) and the fish worker guy said it looked to him like an ulcer (there is no cut or wound on her side, just a fat bulge). He suggested using "Bettafix" for seven days. Today was day 2 of the treatment, and I added the amount to her tank. Next, I was planning on taking a picture of her from the top and posting it in the thread to help diagnose my poor fish- HOWEVER, i took the lid of the tank off, leaned over her, and she completely freaked out. she jumped out of the water 3 or 4 times and then sank to the bottom. I thought she had died, but now she's hiding behind the filter and very freaked out.
Did I just scare her? Did my heater short circuit and she just happened to be electrocuted at that moment? Is the medicine doing bad things to her? It was just so unlike her... I usually take the lid off and scoop her out the same way once a week to clean her tank- she's not shy AT ALL.
I would love to hear anyone's advice on this matter. Thanks!
- she's not constipated, I tried feeding her a piece of a cooked pea, and I stopped feeding her for about three days. nothing changed;
- I started using aquarium salt as well, and I have not noticed a difference in the size of the bulge at all;
- I did a treatment of a product called "Lifeguard all in one treatment" by Jungle. That didn't seem to do anything;
- The bulge has remained about the same size, although it may have gotten a bit bigger over the past month;
- I unplugged anything electrical in her tank, because now I'm paranoid that she'll be electrocuted.