thanks to everyone for your help.
as it turns out, peaches passed away last night.
i'm not entirely
convinced the problem was ammonia poisoning (i tested the water daily - provided treatments as needed - & even after several 100% water changes, i still got a positive ammonia reading. i even used the test strips at several different locations & water sources - e.g., my home & my work - & they even tested postive). Plus, he never really had the 'bloody' streaks.
it's difficult to say at this point whether it was the natural aging process or, in fact, ammonia poisoning. (he was about 2+ years & had stopped making his bubble nests about 6 months ago).
anyway, i'm just hoping that i made his last few weeks as comfortable as possible.
again, thank you everyone.
(photo was taken about 2 weeks ago; just about the time i started this thread. so sad that i was unable to get his usual *flare* for the camera).