Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #1 
Crazykat

Swellings on Face

Hi guys. It's been awhile since I posted on the forum, which is actually good, since I tend to post only when I have fish trouble. I would appreciate any insight anyone has for my current issue.
Housing
What size is your tank? Divided 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Two other bettas and a nerite

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets in the morning, 2 at night, fast on weekends.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%, 100% once a month (This is a heavily planted tank)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Everything was consistently coming up normal. I lost my test kit a week ago, so I'm saving up for a new one right now.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
Luna has had swelling on her face on and off for about a year. It seems to come up every two months or so, and then the swelling goes down and leaves a white marking. There is no change in her behaviour during these periods and she continues to eat like a beast. I treat her by putting her in a quarantine cup and adding aq salt. It takes about 3 days for the swelling to disappear. This has happened in three different tanks, so I would guess that it's not the tank causing this. It has also occurred with two different water sources. The only things on her side of the divider are plants, so I can't imagine she's cutting herself on something. She's in a divided tank, and none of the other fish have any signs of this, or have ever had any signs of this, even though they have been exposed multiple times. I'm most worried about infection when she gets these swellings, as they do occasionally get bloody.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? Aside from this, she's never been ill in her life.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Probably a little older than 2 years.

I'd love to figure out what this is and maybe how to prevent it. She really hates being in a QT cup. In the picture below, the swelling is under her left eye. Above her mouth on the right side, you can see the white mark a previous swelling left.
Any thoughts?
Attached Images

Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

It may possibly be a tumor..
Does it get bigger than that if you don't treat it? o-O
It's either chronic, or you haven't kicked it hard enough to completely kill off whatever is causing it.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #3 
Crazykat

It moves around. It was on the other side of her face before, and she's had it on her gill cover, so probably not a tumor. The swelling is almost gone today, which seems to match what I've seen so far. I hesitate to go to drugs because I don't know which drug to use, since I don't know what it is. Drugs can be as harmful as disease if used incorrectly. Poor Luna may just have to get used to getting stuck in QT every 2 months or so.
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote