Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #1 
LittleFish2012

Exclamation Mysterious Deaths in Sorority Tank!

Alright, so here's what happened...
Recently, I decided to add a fifth betta to my tank (five is the limit, since I have a 10 gallon). I kept her in the jar she came in and replaced most of the water with BettaREVIVE (which contains methylene blue) to ensure my other fish's safety. After about two days, I put her in the tank (and I DID make sure the temp was the same as to not shock her). A day later, she died. She was not bullied to death, but her fins were a little bit chewed on. But it appeared that she was chewed AFTER she died.
Then a day later, I lost one of my original fish. She was healthy, active, and had an appetite the day before. She had no marks or white spots or anything. She looked normal. When i found her, she was floating and a bit curved like a "c". I was baffled.
Then after another day, I lost another one of my fish. This one also appeared perfectly healthy just like the last.
I had two left. I was starting to think this wasn't a coincidence and quarantined the other two to seperate tanks, in the methylene blue. Two days passed and another one died. This one was also perfectly healthy, had an appetite, all normal.
And then there was one... I'm more distraught than ever trying to keep her safe and comfortable. She appears healthy and normal just like all the others. She only has a mild swim-bladder problem. I don't know if I should be relieved or concerned. I fear that I will find her dead when I wake up tomorrow morning, just like all the others.

What bothers the heck out of me is that I have NO IDEA what is happening to them! I did not do anything different with their tank- the temp and pH is all the same as it was before. The only thing I can think of is that the new female must have brought in something nasty. But what??
I drained the entire tank, threw out the old germy plastic weeds, and bleached my aquarium stones. I scrubbed the tank out with antibiotics (and I am aware that using chemicals is a big no-no for betta fish but this disease is nasty). I don't know how it was transferred exactly- whether its in the water or if when my fish chewed on the suspected "infected" female, it was transferred that way. Its definitely by some sort of contact, as neither of my males have been affected. Whatever it is, it kills FAST.

I've been searching everywhere to find out what it could be and I've got nothing to show for it. My fish are not old yet and even if they were, they wouldn't all be dying at the same time. This is too much to be a coincidence.

Please help if you can! I need to know what it was that killed them all. I think any advice would be great. I will not start another sorority tank until I know its safe.
LittleFish2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #2 
Aus

I... have no idea what this could be. I just wanted to say I'm so sorry for your losses, it must be devastating.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #3 
LittleFish2012

Thank you. :( It was awful. I hated waking up each morning and finding more and more dead. I feel like a terrible fish caretaker. I feel even worse knowing that I couldn't stop it. My last one is dead. She lived a week longer than the others before she dropped.

However, I am SLOWLY starting over.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #4 
Bladezero

Any other things you noticed? I'm having a weird case of mass deaths too
It comes out of the blue, started after adding new fish that were in medicine.. For me from the moment I saw the first symptom it was a few hours to the death of the fish.. one of the symptoms is SBD(to the point its belly up) but no bloating.
Bladezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #5 
LittleFish2012

Actually, when I did add that one female, she was just fresh out of medication as well (I do that for this very reason- to NOT infect the others).
My fish had no symptoms. They acted normal and ate like little piggies.
Sorry to hear that it's happening to you too! If it's not too late, try to isolate your bettas (assuming they are bettas) in separate tanks and change their water soon after. That saved one of mine.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #6 
Bladezero

The only Betta I had in the tank was the third one to go.. less then 10 hours after the first death.. My other boys are in their own tanks so they are safe(I hope).
Glad to hear atleast one survived :)
I really want to know what is causing it..
Can it be another new strain of a bacteria or virus?
Bladezero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, death, female, sorority