Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #11 
lelei

I know it's soo difficult..and I am seeing a lot of people here on the forum with sick fish,..:( What is going on..it's soo sad, why these fishy's get sick like this..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #12 
Alcemistnv

I didn't realize how much Buddha meant to me until i came on here and read the memorials. I realized, "Oh my goodness, that's going to be me on day with Buddha."

I've NEVER liked fish before, had a terrible experience with them and I had a fear of going into the fish aisle in pet stores. But Buddha opened me up and I really hope he doesn't get sick. :<

I hope for a long and healthy life for Sammy
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #13 
lelei

I do get very scared after hearing about all these fish sicknesses..and I am trying to figure out..why and when they could hit..I haven't allowed myself to love another pet since my daughter had her hamster..and I gave that lil guy the world too..that was 6 yrs ago..and I couldnt do it since..now with sammy it's starting again..I wanna give him the world..and do my very best for him.. and yes you do fall in love with any pet..u open ur heart..and feel thier joy..pain love and sorrow..and you become consumed..

I sincerly hope the best for Buddah..I see your posts, and I think you got ur pixel around the same time I did:)..And thanks from Sammy:)
Old 06-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #14 
Alcemistnv

Well its Day 2 and Buddha doesn't seem to have changed. His swimming has become frantic now, and he's been flaring nonstop. For a fish who did his first true flare only a week ago, this constant flaring is worrying me. He's been in the same spot as he has been for the last 3 weeks.

Also, this morning he.couldn't eat. He kept on spitting the pellet out, and then eating it again, and then spitting it out. He seemed very intent on eating though, because when I went to remove the food, he tried to.get it before me. Usually he would swim away from my finger, not forwards it.

I'm worried :(
Old 06-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #15 
lelei

Hey, I think you should definately PM OFL I noticed last night she got back to someone else who posted their fishy was very ill as well, So, now is he still in the hospital tank, or back in the bowl? good he is trying to eat:) Idk..tho..what could be going on:(
Old 06-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #16 
Alcemistnv

He's still in his regular tank. Ill definitely message her now.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #17 
Oldfishlady

My first thought when I seen the video....contamination of some type or not enough or forgotten dechlorinater.....it also could be improper acclimation with a 100% water change...

I would start making 50% water changes-now and daily using double dose decloranator for a few days...be sure the replacement water temp is pretty close to the tank water temp-

Dim lit quiet location-hold food for now, cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ and if you have a tannin source-either IAL or naturally dried and fallen from the tree- Oak leaf...add this to the tank and in the replacement water to steep-you want to get the water tanned really dark-adding Epsom salt 2tsp/gal (dissolved first) wont' hurt and may even help if it was a toxic substance...

Sadly, sometimes once the damage has happened not much we can do...but it doesn't hurt to try......

Good luck....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #18 
lelei

@OFL..would it be parasitic? maybe..what does the leaf do? and btw..what is IAL? how do you get it?
Old 06-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #19 
Oldfishlady

IAL-Indian Almond leaf-both IAL and Oak leaf tannins have antibacterial/fungal properties, the tanned water can help ease stress and toughen fins/scales.

IAL-usually you have to get this online.....

I use Oak leaf from my Oak trees...naturally dried and fallen from the tree...about 20 or so per gallon of water for treatment.
The longer they steep the more tannins released the darker the water the more the Betta will like it......they can also lower the pH over time-as they decomp they create CO2 and this drives the pH down.

It could be parasites, it could also be a change in the source water heavy metal content that can make them feel itchy, it could also be a stray volt from the heater....

Usually when you have a sudden change in behavior like this-the most common cause is the environment......this needs to be ruled out first and fixed.....Once this is ruled out and fixed-then you need to move on to other causes-since a contamination stresses the Betta and this compromises the immune response-the normal amount of parasites that all fish have to a degree can then become problematic....The immunity is the first line of defense-once this is compromised anything can happen....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #20 
lelei

Oh wow..thanks for that..I have been reading about some of this stuff..but am very unsure what it is, and what it does..I just know it's always recommended:) Good to know..Thnks OFL:)