Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #1 
LittleFish2012

Exclamation EMERGENCY- Betta on Deathbed!

Okay, recently I posted about having a sorority tank emergency. Well, whatever the disease it may have somehow spread to my male betta double tail. One day he's acting healthy and normal. The next day, he's lying on his side on the bottom of the tank gasping. His eyes appeared almost sunken. I set him in a nursery tank in bettaREVIVE and turned the heating pad on low. I've been changing the water twice a week. The next few days were scary- but he got better surprisingly.
However lately, he's getting worse again. He looks terrible- his face looks more grey than usual (but not cottony or inflamed or anything. No holes either), his eyes are sunken, he's gasping, he's laying on his side... but now he can't even eat when I feed him. He tries to, but he just can't seem to even get the food in his mouth. His stomach is hollow. He literally looks like skin and bones. I don't think he's eaten in at least a week. Could it be a coincidence that he's so sickly at this time and not be a disease, but simply old age? He's only about 2 1/2 years old.

He doesn't have much time left, I can tell. But I won't give up on trying to save him!
LittleFish2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #2 
lelei

Omg..I really wish I could say what could be wrong..but I don't know..if you could post a pic, or video..I know there is a form to fill out to get the correct answers..regarding size of taank, and such,,also if you PM Old Fish Lady.. she will be able to help you..she is an expert in fish diseases, and dx's.. sorry bout your lil guy:(
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #3 
LittleFish2012

Thats a great idea. I will do that now below. I can try to get a picture. I don't want to stress him out by moving him and he might be hiding inside his ornament right now...

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gal, but currently he is living in extremely low level of water due to the fact that he cannot get to the top to breathe.
What temperature is your tank? Around 84-86
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? "New Life SPECTRUM Betta Formula" pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? I feed him every other day, once a day, 4-5 pellets.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? At the least, once a week. Usually twice.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Between 50%-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Lately I've got him in BettaREVIVE. Other than that, I use spring water.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Unfortunately, no... Only pH because I have a kit.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 6
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He was previously healthy, then suddenly began gasping, laying on his side, and his eyes are sunken.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's lethargic, struggles to breathe from the top or swim in general...
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 2 weeks ago. I thought I HAD him nearly cured, but then he regressed back like this. This is his current condition.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, I've put him in a nursery tank with a heating pad. The water is spring water that I treated with bettaREVIVE.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? About 2 1/2 years old.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #4 
Aus

If it's the same disease that hit your sorority, then it wouldn't be just old age.. does it look very similar? Or is it quite different in symptoms?
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #5 
LittleFish2012

Its hard to say... I would think its different because he actually showed symptoms of something, rather than just dropping dead. My females had no symptoms of anything wrong. I'm gonna say its different. It just seems like too much to be a coincidence that he's dying a week after my females died.
Truthfully, I don't really know what it looks like to have a betta fish die from old age. Most of mine have died due to some sort of disease. :(
Old 06-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #6 
lelei

Wow..is 2-1/2 yrs old for a betta? what is their lifespan? I heard 3..so ya it could be age..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #7 
Aus

bettas can live up to 6 or 7 years.

Though indiscriminate breeding has reduced that number significantly these days, I've read, so it's anywhere from 4-7.. I don't think 2 and 1/2 is particularly old for a betta. I think most just don't live that long due to disease/mistreatment/genetic weakness.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Sadly, it may be age related....normal life span being 2-3 years and rarely past 3 years of age.....however, we don't want to give up too soon either-but if he is suffering you need to do what is right by him......

I would go ahead and get him in Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and tannins

Premix it in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water and use for 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today-in a small Qt or tank with a low water level-cover with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ

Then 50% daily using the premixed treatment water

If you have mosquito larva-offer several rinsed and see if you can get him to eat....

Good luck.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #9 
Crazykat

To add, after you follow the treatment OFL recommends, you should really up your water change schedule. In a less than 1 gallon tank, I would be changing the water 100% (with conditioner) every day. Clean water is especially important when your fish is ill.
If you don't have live food, you can try rolling your pellets in garlic juice. This has the added benefit of being antibacterial.
I hope your boy pulls through and I wish you luck with this.
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E and based on experiments I have conducted.....1gal unfiltered without live plants....water changes of twice weekly....1-50% and 1-100% will maintain water quality-provided that the Betta isn't overfed and uneaten food is removed within a reasonable time....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, death, emergency, sick