Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #1 
iElBeau

So I got a 10G... What's next?

Ok so I got a 10 gallon tank today. I have it in my room, decorated, filter and heater running, and the appropriate amount of water conditioner added.

Now I'd LIKE to add my betta as soon as possible.

Petsmart said wait 48 to 72 hours before adding the fish.

Now the questions:

I'm not really sure I want to cycle my tank. At the very least, I don't want to have to wait a month to move my fish from his current home. :/

Is it possible to put him in in three days, and just maintain his tank with frequent water changes? Will the tank eventually cycle itself anyways? How frequent must his water changes be?

I'm a little confused is all. Thanks for any help you can give! :)
iElBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #2 
Jupiter

You can cycle a tank with fish, however most people avoid it since you must really be on top of the water changes and monitoring the levels so it's safe for your fish, and it's obviously risky for the fishes' health.

That being said, I cycled my tank that way. I can't remember exactly how often I changed my water, but I'm pretty sure I wrote the process down somewhere. If I can find out I'll let you know.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #3 
iElBeau

Ok... I don't have anything to test the water as of right now, which is a problem D: I thought I had a kit at home but it turns out my sister took it - had I known, I'd have bought one while I was out buying decorations today :/

But. Even so, I would still do like 50% every day if I had to for a month lol. Like I just need to know how often I need to change his water I guess. So yeah if you could find that though, I'd be really grateful! It would be really helpful :) Thanks!
Old 06-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #4 
Jupiter

It's small frequent changes, I believe I did 20-30% once or twice a day? And then I would do maybe 50% if I found the parameters spiking.

I used test strips though, before I found out those aren't really recommended. It was my first time, so... :P

I believe it took me about three weeks to fully cycle the tank.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #5 
Cargo

I would just change 2.5 gallons every five days.
Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #6 
Tikibirds

you do need to have some ammonia in there or the bacteria won't grow. I did 30-50% water changes every 3 or so days based off the test readings. Mine was a 10G with 3 males and 1 snail. I also had a bunch of anacharis in there as well. I'm not sure if the live plants made a difference or not. I never seen a big spike in ammonia, nitrIte or nitrAte.

The bacteria aren't really in the water - they live in the filter, on the walls, susbtrate and decor in the tank. If you gravel vaccume, only do maybe 1/3 of it at a time. Also, depending on the type of filter you have, it may be best NOT to change the cartridge as most of the bacteria will be in it. Swish it around in old tank water when you do the changes. Or if you do want to change the cartridge, put a new one behind the old one for a few days and then remove the old one - that way the bacteria will also be growing on the new one.

Cycling isn't as bad as it sounds.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 06-10-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #7 
iElBeau

Ok thanks :) Mine will just be 10G with one male for the time being, I won't be adding any fish for a month, so I'm thinking maybe 25% once midweek, and then 50% once on a weekend or something. That shouldn't be too bad right?

Then, after the first month or so, how often should I do water changes?