Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #1 
PaintingPintos

Talking My new baby STARLINGS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew2M6i5amZE&feature=plcp
The full story of how I got them is in the video.
Anyway....they are adorable! Whenever I walk past them I see 2 giant yellow beaks pop up and I hear little baby bird screaming! To some people that would be a living HELL, but to me it is Heaven on Earth! I've always wanted to raise baby birds (I was thinking maybe Zebra Finches) but I never guessed they would be Starlings....I mean, I've always wanted a starling (they're beautiful, intelligent, they bond well, and they're talkative) but I never would ask my parents for one....the latest pet craze for me was a pigeon. My parents were actually going to buy me a pair of Diamond Doves for my 8th grade graduation present (I flat-out refused gold-and-diamond hoop earrings!).....I guess not!
I'm happy with my babies ^___^
I am going to have soooo much fun with them....they're going to be so SMART and they will learn so many tricks! One of the things I hope to do with them if just bring them outside to the field next door, and run around while they fly. And yes, to me this is what I call having FUN! You can keep your little betta tanks (though I have one, too!) and putter around with water quality, but birds will always be #1 on my list!
Actually, right now my typing is waking up the babies.....I hear quiet peeping coming from the box! Ahaha I just love those little birds too much!
But then again....they still might die.....and if they do....I will be HEARTBROKEN! And it's not just 1 death....2 would be quite a big deal to get over with :(
Now I'm just exciting myself, just thinking about these birds, lol
So what do you think? Do you like them? Do they just make you wanna punt their nest down the stairs??? (if you said YES to that, I'd probably hit you if I knew you xD)
....also, sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between the babies being dead or just sleeping.....they're usually so LOUD so being silent is an eerie thing for them :O
I happen to love them
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #2 
Jupiter

That's adorable! And after a while you tend to get used to the noise, or that's what happened with us & my dad's canaries anyway.

I've always liked the idea of raising a chick too, but I'm not all that knowledgeable on birds.

Please keep us updated! Or keep me updated, lol. They're so cute and i want to see how they're progressing! Good luck with them. :)
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #3 
fleetfish

Awww bless you <333 I have such a soft spot for baby birdies.

We had robins nesting on our porch again, for the fourth year in a row. The babies were so cute and fat and they grew so quickly. They were amazing to watch. I love birds so much, keep us updated!
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #4 
Laki

yes yes yes!! I love them too!!! What did you name them?

Starlings imprint, don't they? So that might be why they're moving away from you now. You'll have to do a video blog of them growing up! Someone in my city involved with the small animal rescue rescued a starling and it's an adult now - they make great pets.

The video was so adorable!! They look so funny just standing up waiting for food!! lol and then they get peaceful and talk back and forth about their bellies. They're gonna be chubs! <3
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #5 
lvandert

I did the same thing with a purple martin baby. We were up at our lake place and a crow picked it out of its nest. We assume he was carried to a tree by our cabin and dropped. I raised the little guy for a couple weeks and then bought him to a bird center when we came home.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #6 
PaintingPintos

Awww.....I LOVE purple martins! They're so beautiful!
But since they're starlings, it's legal to keep them (they're invasive and nonnative), and I'm gonna keep my little pair!
I can't bring mine to a birds center, though, because they would be euthanized. Wildlife centers around here don't want any more invasive birds than there are, and they're "just 2 more birds" so they'd be killed.
I love them!
Old 06-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #7 
Twilight Storm

Grats on your new babies :) I've never heard of gatoraid being used in the formula to feed. Things change a lot though!

When I was growing up my mom was licensed in a wildlife rehabilitation center. She worked with zoos and whatnot as well, which exposed me to a lot of neat birds. It's great knowledge to get when you're young, and hand feeding birds is a wonderful skill to have especially if you decide to breed something like cockatiels or whatever later on. :)

Good luck with the little guys :D
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #8 
lvandert

yeah I read the back story on the video. Their super cute and it makes me all happy that you can save them!
Old 06-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #9 
PaintingPintos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
yeah I read the back story on the video. Their super cute and it makes me all happy that you can save them!
Yup....the video explains a lot, which is good because when I'm too lazy to type a lot, I send the video to whoever I'm talking to
I know they're cute!!! Haha I love them too much already....I also happen to be happy about being able to save them. What's really sweet is that today at 5pm after I finished feeding them, I picked them up in a cloth. I was about to swap out the paper towels lining their box, but in under 20 seconds both babies fell asleep in my hand! It was so sweet, my hand must've been very cozy, feeling just like a nest. I didn't have the heart to wake them up so I just put the cloth in the box and formed a nest around them with the edges :)
Old 06-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #10 
lvandert

yup! lol. My little martin was a bit older then those guys. He was starting to get in his big boy feathers and liked to practice fly. I would bring him to the beach and sit down, he'd walk around until he found a good foot hold and go to town flapping those wings! He also followed me if I went anywhere. It made for a very mad baby when I left.

Tags
starlings