Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #1 
WiggleSwim

Question not sure what this is? maybe pop-eye?

1st thing: my little dragon scale betta, Charlie, that I have had for about 6 months now, has a weird white growth area on him. At first I thought it was fungus but realized it didn't look fuzzy, but rather hard. It's like the scales doubled up on themselves or something. It started off as a small speck and has been slowly spreading on his right side. He doesn't show any change in activity, still his usual active little self. I know I read somewhere that it is possible for dragon scales to get tumors. I seriously hope that is not the case!

2nd thing: I also read that they can develop a kind of coloring on their eyes. His left eye is partially covered by the same silvery coloring as the rest of his body. However, just today I noticed that the same eye seems a little larger than the other. Could it be pop-eye? Again, I hope not! Name:  IMG_20120609_224723.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  44.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20120609_224818.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  43.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20120609_224832.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  43.3 KB

Here are some pics. It was hard for me to get one since he always seems to move when I try to capture it.

Anybody have any ideas on what this is and how I can treat it? I want Charlie to live a long happy life. so far, he has still been making his bubbles and looks a little agitated when I change his water and pretty much destroy them and he has to start over :/ aww.
WiggleSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

He could have scaling over his eye, beginning. It's common for dragonscales I find. As for the "tumor" possibility, any betta can get tumors. Just watch it... There'sno fuzz, so it isn't fungal. If it IS a tumor there are a good number of people on here who have had tumor bettas, including me here is a picture of my guy. The dark blue bubbled area was his tumor.

Does it look kinda like that? with the "raised" or uneven scaling, bubbled or "swollen"?
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #3 
WiggleSwim

About the eye: when I look at him from the top, the assumed affected eye looks a little more bulgy. from the front, it also looks a little more round than the other. I'm not sure of that could exactly be scaling making it bubbly looking. Thinking I should get some medicine for it tomorrow.

What I think is a tumor does look raised and uneven looking. It's a brighter white compared the silvery coloring of the rest of his body. It's like a lumpy, fused scale looking blob. Almost as if the scales kept growing over themselves and thickening.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

That's about right for the tumor...

What size of tank and how often is it cleaned, how much is it cleaned, and is it cycled...?
Old 06-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #5 
Luimeril

with a tumor, more often than not, you can't get rid of it. i HAVE heard of people getting rid of them with medication, but i can't for the life of me remember HOW....
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #6 
WiggleSwim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
That's about right for the tumor...

What size of tank and how often is it cleaned, how much is it cleaned, and is it cycled...?
size of tank: 2.5 G
at least 50% water change once a week
I dont think a tank my size can even be cycled :/
Old 06-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Hmm okay, just checking and nope it "could" be cycled, but it would be terribly unstable.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #8 
WiggleSwim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
with a tumor, more often than not, you can't get rid of it. i HAVE heard of people getting rid of them with medication, but i can't for the life of me remember HOW....
what did they give them, chemo?
Old 06-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #9 
WiggleSwim

any particular medicine(s) recommended for pop-eye?
Old 06-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

maracyn 2 works well, I've used it...

or, a non-med like method is with epsom salt. pre-dissolve 1-3 teaspoons, clean the water every day, and re-add the salt you removed

Tags
dragon scale, fungus, pop eye, tumor