Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #11 
WiggleSwim

Additionally, his white tumor coloring is taking over his fin on that side. Instead of being clear looking, the fin is thick white. Hopefully it won't affect his swimming. Right now he's ok with it.
WiggleSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #12 
WiggleSwim

OK, I got Maracyn 2 and gave the required dose over 5 days for the pop-eye. the last dose was yesterday. to be frank, I really don't see that much of a difference between his eye before and after the medication. it may be slightly smaller, but not that much to tell. IDK what else to do right now. He's still eating and swimming pretty normally, although his fins looked kinda clamped a few minutes ago.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

Hmmm, so we can rule out popeye if there is no difference. There should've been some difference... the "popeye" look diminishing, or "deflating"
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:51 AM   #14 
WiggleSwim

IDK what it could be then. The clamped must have been him just resting because I am looking at him now and he's doing his normal activity. well, the fins alternate between clamped and flaring. he's lying at the bottom of the tank, though...thank goodness.
please forgive me if I did this wrong, but am I supposed to also do partial water changes while he us taking the medication? I did not do that. :( could that have something to do the effectiveness of the medication?
Old 06-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #15 
Sena Hansler

I usually follow directions on the packaging. For example, double whammy for my new angels (previously owned) They got ich, so I have a med that says every day water change, and then they got hit by columnaris and THAT med says 48 hours dose, and then 48 hours later water change x.x So I follow the more serious one's directions (columnaris), then the least bad.

So, it is over one eye? Usually for one-eye popeye or cloudiness, it would be from an impact... But, since it may not be popeye considering it does usually go down on it's own a little too (I've dealt with it :) )

Can you post a new picture of both sides? I'm thinking it probably is a tumor, and as for the eye, it could be the build up of scales dragonscales seem to get commonly. I don't want you to fret about it though, there's many of us who have dealt with both!
Old 06-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #16 
WiggleSwim

The medicine said there was no need to change the water as long as the water stayed within the desired parameters. I don;t have a water test kit so I can't say for sure what the exact measurements of the water is. :/

The pop-eye is only in one eye, yes. Here is more recent pictures. I don't see much of a difference. Not sure if I should start a new round of medication or just keep doing 25% water changes and see what that does instead.

Name:  IMG_20120617_203740.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  54.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20120617_203934.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  48.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20120617_203940.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  48.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20120617_204122.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  46.0 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
I usually follow directions on the packaging. For example, double whammy for my new angels (previously owned) They got ich, so I have a med that says every day water change, and then they got hit by columnaris and THAT med says 48 hours dose, and then 48 hours later water change x.x So I follow the more serious one's directions (columnaris), then the least bad.

So, it is over one eye? Usually for one-eye popeye or cloudiness, it would be from an impact... But, since it may not be popeye considering it does usually go down on it's own a little too (I've dealt with it :) )

Can you post a new picture of both sides? I'm thinking it probably is a tumor, and as for the eye, it could be the build up of scales dragonscales seem to get commonly. I don't want you to fret about it though, there's many of us who have dealt with both!
Old 06-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

Hmmm it really does look like popeye... Have you tried epsom salt?

Anyways, for popeye I recommend daily water changes mainly because it keeps away infection which can make the popeye worse.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #18 
WiggleSwim

No, I haven't tried epsom salt. I pondered about aquarium salt, but wasn't sure if it would be appropriate for the condition.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #19 
Sena Hansler

Aquarium salt would irritate more than help.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #20 
WiggleSwim

OK. So the epsom salt would help bring out the fluid? And the water changes would just keep it from getting worse? I know some people have said that water changes have sometimes seemed like a miracle cure, but I'm not sure in this case.

Tags
dragon scale, fungus, pop eye, tumor