Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #1 
weezerette1121

Unhappy First-Time Owner: Lucy is Sick! PLEASE HELP!

Hey guys. I got my first betta 3 days ago and her homes have been as follows:

Day one and two: 1 gal temporary tank, no heater or filter, lamp
Day three (today): 1.7 gal hex view tank with heater set at 78*F, light, aerator stone thingy that sits in a tube which blows a bubble fountain, and connected to that tube is a gravel filter that attracts the icky stuff to the bottom under the gravel

I switched her three times today, not on purpose. She got stress lines and ate her pellets normally. I noticed some weird things about her after that:
Two tiny pink spaces on right side (looks like no scales), part of head that looks as if it has no scales, but it's purple like the rest of her body, and finally one tiny white spot in between those two belly fins she has in the front, but it also looks like she has those on the side fins too. I'm really upset!

I added a teaspoon of aquarium salt and will give her some bloodworm tomorrow for protein to build back the scales. I also got an ammonia neutralizer to help, if it's due to stress. I haven't added the worms or ammonia neutralizer yet, because I'm not sure if it's gonna help her.

Please help me out here, I don't want to lose her!
Attached Images

weezerette1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:49 AM   #2 
Aus

Okay - ammonia neutraliser.. is this water conditioner, or something to use on top of that?

And for your concerns:

Quote:
Two tiny pink spaces on right side (looks like no scales),
Probably a couple of little bumps or scrapes, nothing to worry about, they grow back.

Quote:
part of head that looks as if it has no scales, but it's purple like the rest of her body,
This is her natural colouring. One of my boys looks just like that, only black/blue.

Quote:
and finally one tiny white spot in between those two belly fins
Those are her 'girl parts'
Quote:
but it also looks like she has those on the side fins too.
Most bettas have little white tips on their ventral fins (the little skinny ones that hang down in front).

She looks like a perfectly normal, healthy betta to me.

If you haven't added water conditioner at all, add some right now according to the instructions on the bottle, and do so every time you do a water change. You don't need to add salt to a healthy fish's water. Though I add a little to new fish to ward off stress-induced infections, it's not as much as medicinal doses and only a few days.

Relax and enjoy your fish.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #3 
weezerette1121

Thanks so much. I was freaking out honestly since it looks like the head issue has grown since yesterday. The ammonia thing is by Tetra and is called AmmoniaSafe and it says it detoxifies harmful ammonia for long lasting protection and for use as a superior stress relief for freshwater fish. Im supposed to do a 25% water change and add one teaspoon per 5 gallons. I'm not sure about it. Im pretty skeptical so ill do some research first.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #4 
Aus

You may also find this link really useful as a new betta owner.

Straight tap water is full of chlorine, which is poisonous to fish. Have you added a dechlorinator?

Sorry, neutralizer is for reducing ammonia.. and yes, it's only needed if you let her water get dirty.

(Sorry, am typing in a hurry and misread you..)

Seachem Prime is a good dechlorinating product, just two drops per gallon.. very worth buying. Excellent for bettas.

Last edited by Aus; 06-10-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #5 
weezerette1121

Ah okay. Upon looking at my conditioner, it does dechlorinate. It by API called Tap Water Conditioner and says it dechlorinates aquarium water. Is that good?
Old 06-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #6 
Aus

It's great. API's a good brand. If you haven't been using it - do a water change and put some in the new water before adding your fish back in the tank. Chlorine is poison..

I have a little girl fish, too and they're really fun, so crazy.. But little piggies, too. They will eat until they explode, literally. So don't give in to her begging! (it's hard to do..) - keep her to a food schedule of 2 pellets. 2x a day, or whatever keeps her healthy.

I'm not sure what food you have, but you'll find flakes are nasty for messing up your tank. They tend to increase ammonia and can make your fish bloaty. Most bettas do well on some high protein pellets (with the first three ingredients being meat - shrimp, fishmeal, etc..) - keeps them super active and their colours really pop.

What kind of water change schedule are you planning?
Old 06-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #7 
weezerette1121

I'm planning on a 25% to 50% change either today or tomorrow. I put her in the new bowl yesterday and she still has her stress lines so I don't wanna move her too much. What would you reccomend I do?
Old 06-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #8 
Aus

You still haven't said whether you added dechlorinator..

If not, take her out, put the drops in the tank per instructions on the bottle as to how many dropes per gallon, stir the water well, then put her back in the tank right away.. chlorine sickness might be why she's stressing...

If you have added it, then 1 x 50% water change plus 1 x 100% water change per week should do her fine. I do my tanks on Wednesdays and Sundays, the routine helps me not forget the tanks when things get busy.

New fish can take a couple of weeks to really settle in, so if her water is clean and dechlorinated and at the right temp, just relax and give her time to get used to things. :)

Last edited by Aus; 06-10-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #9 
weezerette1121

yes, i did put the dechlorinator in when i put her in the new tank yesterday
Old 06-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #10 
Aus

Cool! then Lucy is probably just settling in.

Some bettas take a few days, even a couple of weeks to feel at home. Some soft live plants to hide in might help her, or even silk ones that offer long/bushy leaves she can sit in. Keeping her in a quiet place can also help if she's stressing out badly. But she should be fine in a few days.

Something I just thought of - some bettas hate filter flow at all, it can be too strong for them. My girl doesn't mind a medium flow, her short fins cope with it, but my HM boy freaks right out at the lowest possible setting with a sponge over the outlet.. Try turning the filter flow down a bit, or turn it off. See how she is for a while after that. It could just be the water's a bit fast for her and she isn't used to it.

Anyway - relax and enjoy your betta! She's a beautiful little thing, I really like her colours.

Last edited by Aus; 06-10-2012 at 03:15 PM.