Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2012, 02:47 AM   #1 
Seaki

Question I think he's sick, but what is it?

I bought a betta fish about a week ago, and I don't think he was healthy from the day I bought him. Please help, I don't know what to do.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? I'm not sure, I don't have a thermometer
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? He's got his own tank.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? BettaMin Tropical Medley
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day, around 5pm, with a fasting day on Fridays and Tuesdays

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? He's had two water changes since I got him (I've had him for about a week), since his water went cloudy the day after I put him in his first tank (.5 Gal) and then I bought a bigger one, and I've changed it once since then, since it got cloudy really fast again.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? I've done a 100% and a 75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? A betta water conditioner by API

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He's getting some black spots on his side scales and his fins are beginning to dull and grey. Some of the tips are turning white.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? I haven't had him long.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? The second day I had him or so. He's sleeps a lot and he's normally nestled in the leaves of one of the plants. He doesn't eat his food, and if he does eat, it's only a flake or two.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I thought he was constipated at first so I put him in a quarantine tank (It's about 1.5 gallons) and mixed the water with epsom salt. He seems more active in the quarantine tank.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Seaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:32 AM   #2 
Seaki

UPDATE:

He's laying on the bottom of his tank, on his side. He's breathing heavily, one fin is pressed to his side and the other is flared out. I think he's dying, please help :(
Old 06-10-2012, 05:06 AM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

check your water conditioner, see if it cancels out chloramines and heavy metals. eitherway, take your water to the petsmart or petco for a testing.

Meanwhile change out his water again gently, see if you can do it without taking him out. you can put him back in his 5 gallon but keep the wate level low. Also move him to the warmest part of your house.
Make sure the water you are changing in is the same temperature as the water you are changing out.

If you STRONGLY suspect your water, you can switch him to bottled spring water. 1gallon should be about $2. Use the dechlorinator on that too be fore using, and make sure temperature is the same.

I wish you all the best, some bettas are already half dead when you buy them due to the conditions which they have een kept in, if he doesnt make it, don't be too hard on yourself
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #4 
Seaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
check your water conditioner, see if it cancels out chloramines and heavy metals. eitherway, take your water to the petsmart or petco for a testing.

Meanwhile change out his water again gently, see if you can do it without taking him out. you can put him back in his 5 gallon but keep the wate level low. Also move him to the warmest part of your house.
Make sure the water you are changing in is the same temperature as the water you are changing out.

If you STRONGLY suspect your water, you can switch him to bottled spring water. 1gallon should be about $2. Use the dechlorinator on that too be fore using, and make sure temperature is the same.

I wish you all the best, some bettas are already half dead when you buy them due to the conditions which they have een kept in, if he doesnt make it, don't be too hard on yourself
I'll get some different water today. I can shallow out his water with a cup (well, I kept the cup I bought him in, and to take him out of his tank, I'd use that to keep him in during the 100% change) and change some new water in I think.

The pet store sells some Beta Pro Water Solution - I could get that? It's about 1$ per litre. I'll try to spring water first though.

I put him back in the 2.5gal tank and he's a bit more active in there, but I'll be shallowing it out in a moment. Thank you so much for responding.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:45 AM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

generally changing the water is not recommended die to the potential shock. You may need to acclimate him as if he were new, adding a little bit of water at a time.

I would just get the water ready, and since you said he seems a little more active, Id just leave him alone for now.

Please consider buying a heater :)

Next is to leave him alone to his own peace and quiet and preferrable darker environment. All that shuffling around has undoubtedly stressed him out.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:54 AM   #6 
Seaki

Quote:
generally changing the water is not recommended die to the potential shock. You may need to acclimate him as if he were new, adding a little bit of water at a time.

I would just get the water ready, and since you said he seems a little more active, Id just leave him alone for now.

Please consider buying a heater :)

Next is to leave him alone to his own peace and quiet and preferrable darker environment. All that shuffling around has undoubtedly stressed him out.
Alright. I wasn't planning another 100% change :) I'll go get the water later, now that I'm not afraid of his imminent death and change the water cup full at a time, over the next week or so.

I'll see about a heater, pretty sure I'll be buying one. I've got a pretty dark room, but I'll keep the lights out and I've cut a space heater on to make my room warmer to see if that helps.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:42 AM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

a cup full wont do much. :S try 50% at a time or you might get an ammonia build up before you know ot :< how's he doing today?
Old 06-11-2012, 06:15 AM   #8 
Seaki

Quote:
a cup full wont do much. :S try 50% at a time or you might get an ammonia build up before you know ot :< how's he doing today?
I was just using a cup to get the water out and hopefully not disturb him. He's swimming around more, but his color is fading and his fins seem a little more ragged. :/
Old 06-12-2012, 03:14 AM   #9 
Seaki

Okay, an update!

Zombie is eating, though not as much as I would like. I feed him less than my other betta because he won't eat all the flakes. I'll try an assortment of food and see if he'll like something else.

His color's coming back a bit and he's much more active now. He's even puffing up at his reflection again. Thank you so much Aokashi!

I'll keep up the water changes and the spring water. I haven't gotten to the store yet, but he and Captain will both be getting heaters + thermometer.

Last edited by Seaki; 06-12-2012 at 03:15 AM. Reason: added info
Old 06-12-2012, 03:44 AM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

I didn't do much :) but if the spring water's maling him feel better, I will have to say something is wrong with your source water :S but if he got better without the spring water then you can slowly switch back to tap water and watch for adverse reactions. Best to get a water testing kit. lol