Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #1 
Ilikebutterflies

Conflicting temperature info

I am finding conflicting information as to what temperatures bettas can thrive in. I am finding 78-82 degrees mostly and people freaking out if their tank hits 84 degrees.

Part of my plan was to have outside ponds full of betta for my own enjoyment. My breeding area is inside my garage. I live in Florida and the water temp outside on a summer day in the shade reaches up to 87 degrees. Water in my garage goes from 82 degrees overnight to 85 degrees during the day. It doesn't fluctuate any more than that even on the hottest day because of the concrete block construction and my house is under a giant oak tree. I looked up the info for Thailand and their outdoor temps are nearly identical to central Florida.

In this part of the country most pond owners use small fountains to regulate summer temps.

Is this even going to work out for me because my fish are going to have to deal with higher than recommended temperatures?
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Ponds full of betta? You mean sororities?
A good pump will keep the water moving which keeps it cooler than stagnant water.. On the other hand you don't want too much movement because betta don't like movement. If you can figure out a good movement level to keep water cool but betta happy, put the pond in the shade, plant well, you should be fine..
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #3 
Ilikebutterflies

Yes, sororities will be housed together and males will share divided ponds-those are going to be a custom job but I have plans drawn out. Some of the fellas will go in earthenware pots with a compatible fish and waterlily's or something similar.

These are going to be giant plakats so from experience they can tolerate a fair deal of current. One even seems to enjoy playing in the filter current.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

In my outside spawns and general keeping/growing out of my long fin Bettas-they tolerate pretty extreme temps in the summer...some going well over 100F during the heat of the day and as low as 60'sF at night and when it rains...

After a rain I nearly always will have a new nest of eggs even in the cooler water.

I keep mine in tall containers and when I monitor the temps-the temp is much cooler in the lower level by at least 20 degrees and much warmer in the mass of organic material floating-this is where I find most of the fry...

I have found that healthy Bettas can tolerate the gradual temp changes and even the sudden extremes when it rains... The nest full of eggs, newly hatch, free swimming and older fry...all seem to do well and it has never seemed to cause any spawning problems either....but maybe my Bettas are just tougher than most.....

In the house I keep all my tanks in the 75-76F range unless it is a spawning tank-then I like to keep it at 80F.

Since I don't use filters in my tanks 10gal and smaller-the temp can vary at different levels and in different areas-like under plants-this can sometime vary as much as 10 degrees and the Betta all do fine....
The gradual temps they move to and fro are tolerated IMO/E
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

You know, when the fish have a cool zone near the bottom, they know to self regulate their temperature, if it's hot they will stay where it's cooler. Fish aren't stupid enough to sit in hot water when they can go somewhere cooler. That's why it's nice to have some depth.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote