Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #1 
headerthebettalover

Exclamation Betta together???

when i got my very first betta i was told to never put any bettas together or with other fish. is that correct? or is it specific for a gender? i have always wanted to have a large aqaurium with a bunch of bettas in it. is that possible? please help! thanks.
headerthebettalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

you can do that with females, but you will atleast need a 10 gallon. males are a definite nono
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #3 
headerthebettalover

thanks for the info
Old 06-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #4 
ZergyMonster

Having female bettas together is a process and is difficult to maintain the traquility so keep in mind the necessities of the fish as well as some rules to get your bettas to get along. This Thread has information that will help you decide if having a "sorority" is right for you. This type of fish combination has its ups and downs and will require a lot of your attention to keep them healthy.

There is also betta community tanks, there are fish that bettas get along with because they don't have the long flow-y fins that make the bettas angry or small enough that the bettas don't see them as a threat. This Thread shows betta compatibility and how much of each fish and size of tank that is recommended to keep all the inhabitants happy.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #5 
Enkil

If you do a sorority, it can be a real joy. You would have to keep a close eye on it, however. There is always the risk that it will crash. You sometimes have to rearrange the tank if bullying is going on. If the bullying doesn't stop, you would have to remove females.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #6 
headerthebettalover

Thanks so much for the info it really helps.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #7 
Enkil

Of course. ^_^ Never hurts to ask.

As said, sororities or community tanks are possible with bettas. You just have to be careful and choose tank mates carefully. You can also do divided tanks for males.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #8 
Tikibirds

Well, you can keep males together but you need to have a divider between them. You can divide up 5 gallon tanks but I like to use 10 gallons and divide it 3 ways. One heater, one filter - 3 fish

some people keep them with shrimp but the shrimp may become a snack.

as for soriety's - there is only so much research you can do. The only way to know if it will work or not is to try it. Most of it is luck anyways. Tall leafy plants helps but it all comes down to the individual bettas personality.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 06-10-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #9 
Blue Fish

Just be careful if you use a tank divider, make sure that it fits *really* well...if there is any sort of a gap (or even just a bit wiggly) on the sides, they'll get together and fight. I had it happen in a 10 gallon tank divided into two 5 gals, and the weaker betta died. I felt awful and never did it again. I know that other people do it with no problem, but just make sure that your tank divider is sturdy and well-fitting. :)
Good luck to you, bettas are so much fun. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote