Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #1 
FishyFishy89

So happy :)

I've been battling ammonia in Spike's tank ever since hubby decided to help me get rid of my brown algae and put in a tank sucker.(which BTW he has been told countless times why a tank sucker cannot live with Spike in his 5.5 gallon)
Being that husband felt horrible and watching me stress over my poor fishy he let me go get Spike a new plant. After some much debate over Wistiera or Anachrais, I finally went home with an Anachrais and a bottle of Flourish.
Spike had started to show some more improvement last night but today he really has improved...in leaps and bounds. He is swimming more on his own. Where as he would only swim when I came to check up on him. He isn't laying down as much. Where as before he would lay down all the time and only come up for air. He is very much his little piggy self. Where as before his appetite was slowly disappearing. His fins, oh I am so happy to see them open again. Before he kept them CLAMPED. When he would stop swimming they would weight him down. Now when he stops they stay open and he just "floats" there :)
When I 1st put the plant in he was flaring a tab bit at it, nipping it, making sure it knows its place. I was starting to worry he was going to tear it apart. But he has settled down about it/seems to swim around the plant more than his hidys/fake n huge Anachrais(that of which he LOVED)
Onto pictures :)

FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #2 
FishyFishy89

I am currently debating on moving the plant to where the fake moneywort is. Much more light. HOWEVER, the plant does get SOME sunlight from the window next to it. but it has been quite rainy lately. Not much sun.
Should I move it anyhow?
Here is a video of Spike
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulN0Upb-lrg
Old 06-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #3 
goldentryst

What a handsome little boy! His name suits him well.:)
I also very much like your tank; it looks very clean and pretty in a simple and natural way.
I've been considering trying sand as opposed to gravel; do you find that sand is better? it sure looks better.
goldentryst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #4 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldentryst View Post
What a handsome little boy! His name suits him well.:)
I also very much like your tank; it looks very clean and pretty in a simple and natural way.
I've been considering trying sand as opposed to gravel; do you find that sand is better? it sure looks better.
TYVM
I love it!
Decorating is so much easier. You don't have to dig through the gravel or PUSH more gravel to the other side for a level look.
Cleaning: just give the vacuum nozzle a swirl and the poo or uneaten food comes up/gets sucked up.
And you really don't need to sand to be level. It looks so natural that having more on 1 side doesn't look that bad.

ONLY downside if you have to "agitate" the sand once a week to prevent gases building up, exploding and killing your fish along with leaving a nasty smell.
But thats no biggie for me. I stick the net's handle in and swirl around.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

YES definitely push that plant over, lol. The fake plants don't really need the extra light :P
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #6 
Pogthefish

Can you use a normal siphon on it? does siphning agiate it enough?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
TYVM
I love it!
Decorating is so much easier. You don't have to dig through the gravel or PUSH more gravel to the other side for a level look.
Cleaning: just give the vacuum nozzle a swirl and the poo or uneaten food comes up/gets sucked up.
And you really don't need to sand to be level. It looks so natural that having more on 1 side doesn't look that bad.

ONLY downside if you have to "agitate" the sand once a week to prevent gases building up, exploding and killing your fish along with leaving a nasty smell.
you need some MTS ;)
Old 06-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #8 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
YES definitely push that plant over, lol. The fake plants don't really need the extra light :P
That what I thought ;)
TY for confirming my thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
Can you use a normal siphon on it? does siphning agiate it enough?
The gravel vacuum will suck up the sand if you stick it into the sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
you need some MTS ;)
MTS?
OH!! Malaysian Trumpet Snails?! I saw some tiny ones lurking in the tank the plants were in. Maybe some will have snuck in ;) I've asked PetsMart if they sell them "no we do not stock them" I see babies all over the plant tanks o.O
Old 06-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #9 
goldentryst

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
TYVM
I love it!

Sounds glorious, I will definitely have to pick some up next time.
(Also sounds super deadly! O_O)
goldentryst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

Usually if you ask them for it, they will give it to you for free =D