Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #1 
JBosley

To keep divided or to not?!

Hey!
So I have a 15 gallon divided tank for 2 male Betta fish. I decided to re-home one of them because he is tail biting and stressed out being in the divided tank. And I really don't want a 3rd tank! I don't have the room

Should I keep my 15 gallon divided and get another Betta, perhaps a short tail type such as a Crown Tail? Or should I get rid of the divider and make it a community tank with the other Male Betta who is very laid back?
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #2 
Anitax3x

you could try a Plakat or Halfmoon Plakat I love them, they are spunky short tailed and GORGEOUS! I have two Halfmoon plakats one a dragon sheldon (first male) the second just a halfmoon plakat with one big ear Hermie the misfit
Attached Images

Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #3 
JBosley

The other male in the tank is a Halfmoon Plakat. My favorite tail type! I am so in love with him it's ridiculous haha

Problem being, I am in Canada. CANNOT order a fish from online... so I am very limited. If anyone knows of any breeds in Canada I might order online...
Old 06-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #4 
Anitax3x

See i found these guys at petsmart/petco. Hmm I saw on the classifieds someone on here was in canada. You could also look up local pet stores in your area. I found one near me that has AMAZING fish stock, and isn't a big store chain. I like halfmoons personally but sometimes they can be so picky they either want tiny spaces of one of mine has a whole 10g tank with a few albino corydoras that he patrols and swims the entire tank all day long leaving no stone unturned lol.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #5 
JBosley

I will definitely have to call around! That ad was probably mine haha
I'd love another HMPK But wouldn't mind a CT...
Old 06-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #6 
Anitax3x

A CT is good, however they tend to be very picky about water quality. I had one who was a great community male but he didn't like divided life at all.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #7 
JBosley

Hmm guess I'll wait and see what everyone else says!
Old 06-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #8 
mjoy79

Just wanted to mention crowntail isn't really considered a short tail type. I have 3 male CTs and one of them is a chronic tail-biter. The other two have gorgeous long crowntails. Before I got the tailbiter I used to think that CTs didn't do that. LOL
I've just decided its more of a personality thing whether they end up biting or not. I have a halfmoon that has had a short tail since I shipped him from Thailand. I finally gave up trying to find the perfect home for him that would keep him from biting and figured thats just what he's going to do. Although I still keep him in a small (2 Gal) tank by himself.

As far as divided tanks I decided my favorite way is to do a "double divider". I have a tank that has two dividers with plants in the middle. the two guys that live on either side don't ever see their neighbor so they don't get stressed out. Here's a pic. Just an idea :)

This is kind of an old pic. The tank currently has a couple more plants stuffed in the middle section.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #9 
a123andpoof

Get a second betta XD but thats coming from a betta obsessed person so maybe don't listen. Anyways I would keep it divided and give another betta a home.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #10 
JBosley

Hmm... I think I have decided on a community tank

So my HMPK, Fern, is going to be moved into my 5 gallon tank. And my Halfmoon (tailbiter), Dragonfly, is going to be moved into the 15 gallon. Going to ad some shrimp and maybe a few other fish with him. Hope it helps with the tail biting! He is a very mellow guy, so I don't think he will mind the other fishies