Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Classifieds
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #1 
mattoboy

Shipping Plants Across The Border??

Guys I need some help!

I want to sell off some plants and driftwood and such but most members are in the USA! Can someone explain the rules of shipping across the border? Do I need a transhipper? All help appreciated!

Matt
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #2 
kfryman

Yeah you need a transhipper for plants and fish, I think you can sell the driftwood as long as there are no plants or fish to the US as it poses no danger.

I think they need to stop making everything so much harder to do...
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #3 
mattoboy

Where can I find a list of transhippers and how do they work?
Old 06-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

You know, I don't think most people in the states would pay transshipping fees for plants they can get in the states. Certain plants are invasive and can't be shipped across borders at all.
What are you selling? I'm in Canada.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #5 
Jupiter

I'm also in Canada and might be interested in buying some plants in the future...
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #6 
mattoboy

Hey guys,

I meant like plants and fish and stuff in the future as I may start breeding show-line guppies and bettas start the summer.

Matt
Old 06-11-2012, 01:58 AM   #7 
MrVampire181

Yeah no point shipping across borders. Too much hassle on both ends.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

For fish, yes.

As for certain plants, I've gotten mine from HONG KONG and USA no problem, no transhipping.. Anubias, x-mas moss, java fern, java moss... And live cultures like microworms, or fairy shrimp eggs.

But I will point out, for shipping fish across borders SO many people have a hard time when they do it, or they are the ones on the receiving end! I had enough problems with Canada Post and their "day after arrival" that almost made it 5 days late Now imagine across the border....yikes!

Anyways, there's tons of canadians here....hiding :p I'm one!!!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #9 
redchigh

The shipping costs for anything that requires next day delivery is prohibitive.

For example, to ship a 1 pound package from alabama to california, the price would be about $34.

From Alabama to Canada, the same sized box would be $77, and the fastest available method is 1-3 business days.

A package sent priority (1-3 days) within the US, would cost about $8.

I would just concentrate on selling your livestock locally- craigslist and aqua-bid might have a local section.

If the pricing doesn't turn you off to the idea, you'll require permits depending on where you live and where you are sending to.

Absolutely required are-
Checking all applicable laws of the buyer and seller's country.
phytosanitary certificates- Cost about $100-$150

Here are the rules involved for someone in the US, wanting to get a Phytosanitary Certificate-
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/plant_exports/faqs.shtml#1
What are the responsibilities of the exporters (shipper/agent)?

1. Apply, in writing, for the inspection, sampling, testing, and certification of commodities offered for export. Certificates can be issued at the point of origin, at a port where the shipment will transit, or at the actual port of export. PPQ Form 572, Application for Inspection and Certification of Domestic Plants and Plant Products for Export, can be requested from the nearest ACO office or download form by clicking here.

2. Contact an Accredited Certification Official (ACO) far enough in advance of the shipping or loading dates to allow the ACO to determine the phytosanitary import requirements and conduct required sampling, inspecting, testing, etc. in advance of the shipping or loading dates and specified time limits. Refer to Exporter or Shipper Responsiblities Related to the Export Certification of Plants and Plant Products.

Exporters must be aware of and plan for any time limit restrictions a foreign country may specify for the period between date of inspection or date of certificate issuance and shipping date. If a time limit is not specified by a country the policy on time limits for inspections is not more than 30 days before export.

3. Provide all necessary documentation, including, import permits, bills of lading, manifests, shipping invoices, foreign phytosanitary certificates, and inspection certificates. It is the exporterís responsibility to provide official documents stating import requirements if they differ from those that USDA-APHIS-PPQ has. Official documents may be an import permit, special authorization, or recent correspondence from the National Plant Protection Organization (NPPO) of the foreign country.

Exporters are responsible for ensuring official documents are translated into English; USDA-APHIS-PPQ does not provide translation services. Bilingual information is acceptable as long as one of the languages is English.

4. Make the commodity available for inspection, sampling, testing, etc. Shipments cannot be inspected on board aircraft or ships. Additionally, commodities which are loaded into maritime containers in bulk form can not be inspected once the container has been loaded. It is the exporterís responsibility to ensure that they make arrangements to have the consignment sampled and/or inspected prior to loading containers.

Ensure the commodity is accessible to the ACO s to verify, sample and inspect the consignment. In addition, other shipping documents should be marked or stamped to prevent the shipment from being loaded before the inspection is conducted.

5. Providing labor to open and close packages for inspection and for providing adequate facilities to perform the inspection. Such facilities include supplies, equipment, and proper lighting required for an efficient inspection before certification.

6. Provide for any required treatments, reconditioning, or other actions to meet the import requirements of the foreign country.

7. Export only those plants or plant products that have been properly inspected and certified under a Federal plant export certificate.

8. Safeguard the certified shipment from infestation between the date the shipment was sampled and the actual shipping date, and ensure that the certified shipment departs within the time limits specified by the importing country.

9. Comply with U.S. export control regulations. The Federal government controls the exportation of U.S. goods to all foreign countries. The Department of Commerce is the authority for licensing most items for export. Other Federal agencies such as the Agricultural Marketing Service and the Federal Grain Inspection Service handle the certification for specific products.
The PS is NOT required to mail the package, but without it, will have to be inspected. (can take up to 14 days.) More often than not, the package is just seized and incinerated.

Export permit, which has a small fee.
Then you need an export certificate.

Okay, sorry. That's all the research I'm doing for ya, it was only an example. Definitely need to do your own research on your own country's laws, and the laws of the receiving country.
redchigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yea, when I ordered from aquatic magic I found out they don't have import papers and if the post office decides to inspect the package labelled "home decor" you'll never see it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote