Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #1 
Sam I Am

Showing my newbie-ness here...

Hi all,

My name's Sam and I've been lurking around these boards for about a week now. I am a newbie at keeping bettas as evidenced by the following story.

My betta keeping began early this year when I decided (kind of on a whim) to purchase a betta. I had several pass on me after doing water changes (not exactly sure what the problem was, but Petco said they had been having problems with the bettas at that time as well). Anyways...I ended up with a baby betta we named Cinco. Cinco has since grown to be about 2.5 to 2.75 inches and is a beautiful, vibrant red color with lovely medium sized fins. He is so interactive and always swims up to me. He's also rather fond in letting me know when he's ticked off (too strong a filter current in new tank). :) I bought him a floating mirror to play with and he loves to push the floating ball around and look at himself in the mirror (not flaring at himself I might add). So Cinco has always been very, very active, a pig when it comes to feeding time, and loves to lay on the leaf hammock I bought him. Lately I've been noticing he's not quite as active, still eating great and still swims up to me when I come near, but otherwise laying at bottom of tank under some plants more. I've also noticed that his belly has gotten larger. I thought maybe I was feeding him too much even though I feed him the same as my other bettas and that he's always had. I was stressing out that something was wrong with him and was racking the site to figure out what to do.

This morning I was greeting Cinco and feeding him and I noticed a white spot on his belly just above the anal fin. Oh My Gosh....Cinco's a girl!!! And I'm guessing her tummy is full of eggs. Duh Sam. So anyways, now that I know Cinco is a happy and healthy female I feel better, and it explains why I've never seen a bubble nest. Had to share my aha moment and maybe get a few chuckles from everyone else.
Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:30 AM   #2 
Bladezero

Welcome to the forums Sam! :)
lol I have a baby that I have no idea is if its a male or female..

One of my betta, Merlin is pure evil if I ruin his bubble nest, if I go out for a few hours after, he will play dead when I come back(make himself look stuck in a hole, and he won't move until I open his lid top lol) He just does that to scare the living hell out of me as revenge.. I gotta say tho, works every time on me.
Bladezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

There really isn't much way to tell their genders at first. And obviously you aren't a total newbie at betta, it takes skill to raise one of those babies!
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #4 
lvandert

Welcome and congratz to your little gal!
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote