Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #1 
duluoz

This isn't looking good...

Some of you might remember another thread or so where I tried to figure out if my CT had fin rot. Turns out yes, and it progressed to body rot. For at least a month I've been giving him meds. I've taken his ornaments out and cleaned them, done water changes, added stresszyme and aquarium salt. I just recently did a 100% water change. Nothing seems to be working, and when I got home he was at the surface gasping for breath. His gills are open as if he is flaring, but they wont close and he doesn't really move. He also spit out the food I gave him earlier.

Is there anything I can do?

If I try another 100% water change, do you think it will hurt him?

Any advice is appreciated. This is really upsetting.
duluoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #2 
duluoz

Sorry, I always forget this.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? flakes, pellets, bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? usually about 50
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? stresszyme and plant food. Sometimes aquarium salt and lifeguard all-in-one (when BD is sick)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

pH: above 7

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? he has body and fin rot. He has a patch of what looks like body rot under one of his gills
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he stays at the top of the aquarium flaring, and spit up his food
When did you start noticing the symptoms? the newest symptoms I just noticed before the last post. Body rot, maybe a couple weeks. Fin rot, a good month or more
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? lifeguard all-in-one, water changes, aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? he had a fungal infection just after I got him
How old is your fish (approximately)? not sure. I brought him home early 2012
Old 06-11-2012, 05:40 AM   #3 
Bladezero

Body rot for that long? Can you add a picture?
As for treatment:

Advanced Fin and Tail rot
•Symptoms: Fins and or tail start rotting away, usually starting from the edge, but sometimes it starts at the base of the fin (especially dorsal) and attacks the body directly. Diseases progresses rapidly as the tissues are being eaten away. Once fins have been consumed, rot will proceed onto the body. At this stage the disease is hard to reverse although the betta might continue to live for months if treated properly. If not treated, it will die promptly.
•Treatment: If the rot has advanced onto the body, skip conservative treatment. Do 100% daily water changes. Use a combination of Fungus Eliminator and Tetracycline. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth. It may take up to 4 weeks to work, so don’t give up.

Think it's this one, seen enough finrots and it took alot longer to even get to half the fin..

I'll still wait for a picture to be sure..
Bladezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #4 
duluoz

Nah, sorry. I don't have a camera capable of taking anything detailed. BD's fins started turning translucent, then eventually they became blue again (except for the very edges). About when the translucence reached his body, the area just under the top fin, and then the area behind one of his gills became a sort of fleshy pink color and lost all the blue. It's been spreading since.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #5 
Bladezero

Is he losing finnage or just changing color?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #6 
duluoz

a little of both. the fins were (the fins aren't really a problem anymore) getting a bit shredded and red, but they are also turning transparent
Old 06-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

you miiiight just have a marble which is changing color at the same time as he is having fin rot, dont take my word for it though. since there isnt a photo things are a little un certain here
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #8 
Bladezero

I agree with Aokashi, might be that.. 3 weeks of body rot would have left him on the bottom berly swimming by now, Try to post a picture even if it's with a crappy phone camera. Body rot is noticeable enough.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:14 AM   #9 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
I have had no luck with LIFEGUARD all in one. .. but I did have better luck with Tetracycline. This was on my platies though, not my bettas. I just read somewhere that a lot of people reported crappy performance of Lifeguard All-In-1, for various fish and issues.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #10 
Laki

Translucent fins = new growth. It wouldn't be growing back and returning to blue if it was rot...
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote