Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2012, 11:32 PM   #1 
WitchoftheMoonlitPath

Question Betta's injured, help needed

Ok, so my two bettas defeated my getto separator and fought each other. I had a ill fitting mesh screen up until I could get my hands on a better fitting piece. I noticed too late that they were on the same side of the tank and now their fins are both torn up and tattered. I am a new betta owner and I don't know what, if there is anything, to do. Currently they are separated so they cannot get at each other again. Can anyone help me? I am really worried about my babies and their health.
WitchoftheMoonlitPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #2 
cjconcepcion

Same thing happened to two of mine last week, how much of their fins/tails are shredded? they have a great ability to heal, and would probably benefit from an antibacterial type medication to aid the healing process
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:52 PM   #3 
WitchoftheMoonlitPath

well, I have seen worse tearing in pictures.....they tearing isn't horrible, but I am kind of worried and on a budget. I have heard mention of aquarium salt as well as the stress coat. Will any of these things help? And how expensive will this be? D:
Old 06-10-2012, 12:00 AM   #4 
cjconcepcion

aquarium salt should help, and is your water conditioned? something ive heard of before is soaking their food in garlic juice, as it supposedly has alot of properties and minerals that promote healing. i have tried it myself, my fish love it, i know it dosent do them any harm as long as you dont feed them like the entire garlic clove, although im not sure if its really helping to heal their fins or not
Old 06-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #5 
cjconcepcion

you should be fine as long as your tank conditions are okay, heated, conditioned, and large enough and all that :) it will take some time to heal, a few weeks to a few months, but as long as half of their tails/fins still remain i wouldn't be too worried. just keep an eye on them :)
Old 06-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #6 
WitchoftheMoonlitPath

My water is conditioned and I am planning on feeding them brine shrimp tomorrow to give them some protein to help things along. I might be able to hit petsmart tomorrow and get some things to help them heal. Will their fins really heal?
Old 06-10-2012, 12:12 AM   #7 
cjconcepcion

yes they will :) depending on what type of betta they are their tails might not grow back the same shape as they would be normally. But they should heal up just fine :) make sure you get a heater for them, they would be the best thing to boost their immune systems to help them hean and ensure they dont get an infection or anything, and unless it gets worse, you shouldnt need any real medication. warm water and aquarium salt will do :)
Old 06-10-2012, 01:05 AM   #8 
WitchoftheMoonlitPath

I just put them back in the same tank because the other one was too cold...I hope that I fixed the separator this time, I don't think they can handle another fight :/ hopefully the heat and the filtration system will help....
Old 06-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #9 
cjconcepcion

can they see each other through the separator?
Old 06-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #10 
WitchoftheMoonlitPath

yes, it is just a plastic canvas, and they got at each other again during the night....I am attempting one more time with the separator and then I will have to permanently separate them until I can get a better fit one.