Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #1 
battered

How to feed betta over winter break?

I want to take a tank with me next year when I go to college, and I was wondering how I should take care of my betta over winter break. I don't think anyone is allowed in the dorms during that time, and it would be around 10 days. I'd be flying home, so taking him with me would be out of the question.

I think my options are (1) don't feed him - people seem to agree that fish can survive this long without food (2) get a vacation feeder - I'm not sure I trust this, though (3) get an automatic feeder - can't seem to find one (4) find someone to take him/take care of him - seems like this would be very stressful for the fish/troublesome for me to find and relocate him.

Thoughts?
battered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #2 
Blue Fish

I've seen the automatic feeders at PetSmart, if you have one near you maybe try there? Otherwise I'd see if you have someone who could betta-sit for your while you're gone. I've done that anytime I've been gone for more than a couple of days. If you can't find someone, try ordering an auto feeder here:
http://www.aquariumguys.com/aufe.htm...FQbznAodHkC8WQ
Good luck to you in college and to your betta! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #3 
battered

Thanks! The problem with feeders is, I can't seem to find one that feeds in small enough portions for bettas.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:04 AM   #4 
Blue Fish

Ahh, I understand. :( I've never used one and didn't realize you couldn't adjust the food level. :( I'm sorry! If no-one here replies, maybe you could ask a local aquarium store, if you have any good ones, IE people who actually know about and raise fish?
I hope you find a solution though!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:47 AM   #5 
Pasqua

How about options such as moving him to an office part of the college where possibly some admin staff might still be working and wouldnt mind feeding him? Or if u have a friend who would be living nearby but off campus they nay be able to take him? Otherwise id say an autofeeder would be your best bet. U might be able to find one specially for bettas?
It does sound like a hassle with the winter holidays but it would be so great to have his company in your dorm room. I hpe u ca figure something out. Also good luck at college =)
Pasqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:59 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

he'll be fine unfed for ten days, just be sure ur tank is ok without a water change for thay period of time
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

With 10 days without a water change, I wouldn't feed him at all. Food in means waste out. And if you aren't there to clean it out, it can build up to toxic levels. Plus, those automatic feeders are rather unreliable. I used one once and came back to the floor of the aquarium littered with uneaten food and a few dead fish in the community tank. It waaaay overfed them.

Just make sure in the week before you leave, you fatten him up a bit (but not too much, you don't want bloat).
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #8 
battered

Unfortunately, I just realized it'll be more like 3 weeks for winter break. Is finding someone to take him for the break the only solution?
Old 06-12-2012, 12:22 AM   #9 
Tazo

This is one of the things I was worried about too! I will also be bringing my betta to college in the Fall :P.
Unfortunately, if you /have/ to fly home... there's not really much you can do other than find someone to take care of your fish if you're going to be gone for more than a week. Especially since most of the tanks allowed in college dorms/that are easy to transport are fairly small...
I know at my college there are some dorm buildings that remain open over breaks for international students, etc. Maybe if they have these at your school you could find someone who lives in one who would be willing to take care of your fish?
I'm going to a college that has a vet school... if you have something like that I'm sure you could drop a fish off there and they'd be taken care of. A lot of vet or pre-vet students are /extremely/ passionate about any kind of animal, so that'd be a good bet for me...
Also, you might want to even try asking teachers! I know there's a chem teacher at my school with a notoriously soft spot for animals... Who knows?
Just some quick ideas there, but...

If worse comes to worse, you could probably pack and ship a fish overnight to your home... it'll cost a lot, but it could be worth it? That way you could get home, set up the tank, and have it waiting for when the fish arrives. It's kind of a desperate measure in my mind, though :/
I'm just so glad I only live like 2 hours away from my school x.x
Tazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #10 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by battered View Post
Unfortunately, I just realized it'll be more like 3 weeks for winter break. Is finding someone to take him for the break the only solution?
Yes. Three weeks without food or a water change will put him in great danger. If you know someone who has an apartment and will be up there for most of the break that could work. Or as Tazo suggested, even a professor with a soft spot for animals. But you have to find someone to take care of him.

Depending on the airline, you might be able to take him. I seem to recall that some will allow fish on board. Just buy him a small tank and heater when you get home.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote