Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #11 
Pogthefish

I agree, find someone to take care of him, or ship him home. It will be stressful to ship, but it may be your only option.

If you want to try something new and risk your betta, use a vacation feeder and then put a TON of plants in your tank, they will absorb the amonia, but I have never tried NPT for 3 weeks, and vacation feeders are still unreliable at best.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #12 
deso

10 days would be fine. My boy was safe and sound (albeit a bit lonely looking) when I got home on Monday from a 9-day vacation. But three weeks, as said before, is not. Express Posting him to your home may be your best plan, because airlines can be very strict about anything vaguely resembling liquid; they confiscated from me a tiny sealed jar of dark chocolate spread that was supposed to be a gift, so imagine how they'd react to a bag of water holding a fish :/
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #13 
Pogthefish

Airlines suck -_-
Old 06-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #14 
scootshoot

Find a petshop nearby ....
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #15 
iElBeau

When I go away for weekends I get my boyfriend or my roommate to feed him, and taught them how.

For holidays I bring mine home with me in a 1/2 gallon tank (it's all I've got for transporting him D: oh well)

Many airlines will allow you to bring a fish, but I'd call around and find out. The other option is a "pet hotel". Petsmart has one in almost every store, and many vets will also take care of a pet for a short period of time.

Now, you will make MANY friends in college, and many will live near it. I would honestly think its best to trust it with a friend. I was shocked at how many people I met, and how many people were willing to help me out. Even if they live an hour or two away, they may still be willing to bring your fish home with them.

The other option, is you stay at college for xmas break. I'd honestly worry about it closer to the date though - as you meet people, you may even be lucky enough to meet someone as into fish as you are :)
iElBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #16 
battered

If I ended up having to leave the betta without food for three weeks, would it hurt to throw in a tetra gel feeder? It seems like the main problem with them is that fish don't realize the feeders are food; it doesn't seem to affect water quality too much.
battered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #17 
Pogthefish

If you give a hearty meal, before, (like big big) then they should be ok, how will you maintain the water quality? Vacation feeders have NO nutrition.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #18 
battered

If I don't feed anything, water quality shouldn't be a problem. All my tanks are heavily planted and if anything, it wouldn't be a problem just throwing in some hornwort, java moss, or dwarf water lettuce to suck up additional nitrates. The thing, I thought the tetra gel feeder might be ok because in the worse case scenario, the betta doesn't see it as food and doesn't eat from it (but water quality remains the same).
Old 06-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #19 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by battered View Post
If I don't feed anything, water quality shouldn't be a problem. All my tanks are heavily planted and if anything, it wouldn't be a problem just throwing in some hornwort, java moss, or dwarf water lettuce to suck up additional nitrates. The thing, I thought the tetra gel feeder might be ok because in the worse case scenario, the betta doesn't see it as food and doesn't eat from it (but water quality remains the same).
The breakdown of living matter (either in the digestive system or through bacteria in the substrate) releases ammonia. Even if he doesn't eat it, it will degrade the water quality.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #20 
battered

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
The breakdown of living matter (either in the digestive system or through bacteria in the substrate) releases ammonia. Even if he doesn't eat it, it will degrade the water quality.
That's the difference with the tetra gel feeder. It only breaks down as the fish eats it. Also was exploring getting an automatic feeder like this http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...5-001517B1882A that might feed like 1-2 pellets a day. Yes, water quality would change a little, but I don't think it would be drastic with nitrate absorbing plants + the reduced feeding.