Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2012, 12:45 AM   #1 
MKNelson90

wallmart cup of water

My Gf bought a betta at wallmart 2 days ago and left it at my house. It is in the same water and tiny cup she bought it in. Do i have any chance of saving this fish? even if i go to wallmart tomorrow and buy a tank, heater, filter and all the other things i have read about on here? It seems a new tank / filter take 4 weeks to be ready? the water already looks kind of dirty. can I add water of something ?
MKNelson90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:52 AM   #2 
Anitax3x

You need water conditioner to be able to change the water. Bc the chlorine in the water will kill it.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:56 AM   #3 
MKNelson90

the water in the little cup ?
If i get a tank and filter and conditioner and heater tomorrow can it be ready in hours not weeks?
Old 06-13-2012, 12:58 AM   #4 
Anitax3x

If you can go towalmart and get conditioner. You could get a tank around one or2 gallons , a submersible heater, and conditioner. Walmart has that and it's open at this hour. Fill the tank with water, throw in the heater. Set it to78 degrees F, and float the cup for minimum 15 mins, then take some fresh tankwater(make sure it is conditioned!) and add ittothe bettacup, then continue to float it for 15 mins, then gently release the betta. This process will help acclimate him so that he doesn't die of shock being thrown into really clean water when he is kept in dirty water can kill him. This would be a speedy help the dying betta plan if you really want to save him. I hope you do!
Old 06-13-2012, 01:01 AM   #5 
Anitax3x

Yes you could buy a 10 gal with heater and filter and safely and slowly introduce him tomorrow by doing what is called a fish in cycle. Follow the acclimation process of floating him and then adding tank water to the cup etc. remember you need water conditioner before adding tap water to your tank as normal tap has chemicals that can harm and kill the betta. The conditioner makes tap water betta safe.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:02 AM   #6 
Anitax3x

Sorry for the double post I didn't know you wanted to give him a whole 10 gal which is awesome! Yes you could set him up in a 10gal to cycle. It's not the safest but in the interest of getting him out of the cup ASAP you could do that.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:04 AM   #7 
Anitax3x

This page has a description of how to do a fish in cycle

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
Old 06-13-2012, 01:06 AM   #8 
MKNelson90

Im on wallmart.com right now. ill pay and store pick up. can you help me pick decent stuff I dont want to get cheap junk.

glass tank not plastic right?
Old 06-13-2012, 01:06 AM   #9 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Aw, I hope you save him!

FYI I didn't know about cycling a tank when I got my first bettas and they did great, BUT I did do water testings and water changes so. .. I guess that is why they lived. My brother in law never did a cycle but his betta is just in a little bowl, he's been alive for at least a year now. (Not that I recommend neglect . . I'm just saying don't throw in the towel just because you can't cycle the tank now.) Good luck! So nice of you to take car of something someone else bought.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:08 AM   #10 
MKNelson90

I can do like 2.5 for now.

This is my wallmart

Walmart Supercenter
1471 E Osceola Pkwy
Kissimmee, FL 34744

what heater filter do they have that is decent ? try not to kill my credit card please LOL

will this do till I can do better ? will a heater go in this?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/13448744

Last edited by MKNelson90; 06-13-2012 at 01:26 AM.