Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #1 
wulfie

carbon not good for filters?

so someone told me that carbon isn't good to use in my filter and that I won't be able to cycle my 2.5 gallon if I use a carbon filter. If this is the case, why do all these internal filters come with carbon media? I'm really confused, hopefully someone can shed some light on the matter
wulfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #2 
Cattitude

Carbon (activated charcoal) absorbs some harmful chemicals from the water, however it can also absorb desirable substances such as medications, and should not be used in a hospital tank. It prevents cloudiness to a certain extent (you can still get cloudy water depending on the cause).

Re cycling, my 26 gal tank has carbon in the filter cartridge and it's cycling. I don't know if carbon affects the bacteria in the cycle, but it doesn't seem to prevent cycling.
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Activated charcoal does not hurt the cycling process one way or the other....

Use of activated charcoal is more of a personal choice than a need, however, its a good idea to always have some fresh unused activated charcoal on hand for emergency

Charcoal is a short lived product and you can't recharge it-

Charcoal/carbon come in different grades and usually will be spent in about 2-4 weeks and while leaving it in the filter shouldn't cause any problems and it can even provide more surface area for the beneficial bacteria to colonize-Once its used up and if you want to use carbon it will need to be changed per package direction.

Carbon when active-will remove odor, tannins, other discolorations, medications, some heavy metals, chlorine, some vital nutrients, minerals for plants...and so will a water change....But-if you had an accident of some type with a toxic substance that fell in the tank-adding fresh active charcoal can often save the tank along with a water change....it has saved me more than once-but I don't use or keep charcoal in my tanks all the time....not needed IMO/E.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #4 
Pufffreely

use it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Pufffreely is offline   Reply With Quote