Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #1 
thekinetic

Question concerning bettafix

Ok so my betta had finrot and his fins are now tattered. He's swimming around, though not easily, and eating. The disease is cleared up, or mostly, so I bought some bettafix.

My question is will it help him regrow his fins?
thekinetic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #2 
Shirleythebetta

Yes but if you do use it I would use it at half dose. There is no substitute for regrowing fins better than patience and clean water though. People don't recomend bettafix because of the Malaluca oil it has in it (from a tree) it has been known to damage the labarynth organ in air breathing fish.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #3 
thekinetic

I looked it up and an article by a vet said it was fine. He said that most of these conclusions about it are false as people tend to think that it was the medicine that killled their fish and not the disease. Then they take it online and state it as fact without proof and the rumor takes on life.

So I used the stuff on my fish to day and so he is fine but only time will tell.
thekinetic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

Follow the instructions and you should be fine, I think its when people overdose then it causes a problem since the main ingredient is a tree oil that CAN cause damage to their breathing organ.

However, if you are trying to regrow fins I suggest stress coat and use 2X the normal dose (as per instructions on the bottle for fin regrowth). Also Krodon's fish protector I think would also help.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #5 
Shirleythebetta

Oh, I still use it occasionally at half dose if the damage is bad enough. If I am trying to regrow fins I don't use anything though. I would rather not medicate unless it's necessary and clean water does work. It's all about what you feel is right for your fish though.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #6 
Laki

I refuse to use it anymore.
Vets aren't always correct, everybody falls to their knees when a "vet" writes an article. They might have wrong info or interpret the info wrong themselves or they might just be inexperienced. Not to sound mean but a lot of grain and corn and bad pet foods are "reccomended by vets" .. Everybody I guess is responsible for doing their own research. It's a personal thing, but I don't buy the vet wrote the article as words of total undeniable truth!! lol sorry my 2 cents.
In response to the fish in question, clean water and patience will heal them nicely. If you're able to get your hands on some indian almond leaf you'll find some improvement in elapsed time as well :)
Laki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #7 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
I refuse to use it anymore.
Vets aren't always correct, everybody falls to their knees when a "vet" writes an article. They might have wrong info or interpret the info wrong themselves or they might just be inexperienced. Not to sound mean but a lot of grain and corn and bad pet foods are "reccomended by vets" .. Everybody I guess is responsible for doing their own research. It's a personal thing, but I don't buy the vet wrote the article as words of total undeniable truth!! lol sorry my 2 cents.
In response to the fish in question, clean water and patience will heal them nicely. If you're able to get your hands on some indian almond leaf you'll find some improvement in elapsed time as well :)
[
\My dogs got sick because of this, the three of them getting a trusted pet food. Almost died. [
Old 06-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #8 
Laki

I believe it. Vet food made my dog sick too- then I switched him to holistic! -thread trolls, we are-
Laki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #9 
iElBeau

I used Betta Fix at its recommended amount, and my fish was fine. I used it for a different disease though, but he had damaged fins, and it helped.
However, I wouldn't use it more than a week or two, and don't forget to change the water according to the bottle (I forget what it says).
After you stop using it though, keep his water super duper clean. Do frequent water changes, like a few times a week. The clean water will support growth more than anything, and allow your fish to return back to his normal living environment, and feel less stressed, but the betta fix can really help in getting the fins started and healing before they regrow :)
Good luck!

Last edited by iElBeau; 06-12-2012 at 09:28 PM.
iElBeau is offline   Reply With Quote