Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #1 
Moby

2.5 Gallon, 2 female bettas?

Hi guys

I have a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter and heater. In a few months i will be getting a betta, but the last one I had seemed very lonely. Is it possible to have 2 female bettas in the tank if I am careful about water changes, etc? If not, are there any other easy options? Thanks,
Moby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #2 
Shirleythebetta

no no no, Even if it is a female only one in a tank that size. You need at least a ten gallon tank and a minimum of 5-6 females for a sorority. Anything under four they will eventually tear each other up. Female are just as territorial as the males in certain setups and will kill each other. If you want to set up a ten that would be great. I want to break the myth on here that sororities are scary and won't work. Always remember too that betta's are solitary fish by nature. They don't care if they are alone and they won't get lonely. If you feel they are lonely you CAN try shrimp. Better yet... just a betta mirror for them to look into. You can buy them at petsmart or online.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #3 
Luimeril

by nature, bettas don't get 'lonely'. that's not to say they're not social, they just don't want any other bettas in THEIR territory. if you want to get two, get two different tanks, or a 5 gallon and divide it. my own bettas live in their own tanks, and three of them are side by side, so they can see another betta whenever they want. even my delta tail doesn't tail bite, and my shy little HMPK's getting some courage by 'scaring off' my delta and female PK(more like old lady Lulu gets tired of his antics and swims away, and Ichi gets bored of watching him show off and goes to rest in his plant. xD).

if you want multiple bettas in teh same tank, as i said, divide a 5 gallon or larger, or get a 10 gallon or larger and start a sorority.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #4 
Moby

Thanks for the help I appreciate your detailed answers
Moby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #5 
Rachelk98

Arrow 2 females

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
no no no, Even if it is a female only one in a tank that size. You need at least a ten gallon tank and a minimum of 5-6 females for a sorority. Anything under four they will eventually tear each other up. Female are just as territorial as the males in certain setups and will kill each other. If you want to set up a ten that would be great. I want to break the myth on here that sororiies are scary and won't work. Always remember too that betta's are solitary fish by nature. They don't care if they are alone and they won't get lonely. If you feel they are lonely you CAN try shrimp. Better yet... just a betta mirror for them to look into. You can buy them at petsmart or online.
i have 2 females in this kind of tank and they have been living there for over a year
Rachelk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #6 
Shirleythebetta

Yea some of us get lucky. Most of the time though females will fight eventually. I have heard of it happening random times after they have lived together a month, 3 months.... so on. It's just generaly not a good idea. There are many horror stories you can search on here to see what I mean. If it's working for you though way-to-go. You are braver than most.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #7 
LittleBettas

A 2.5 gallon is really only big enough for one fish, stuffing to betta fish in it will either result in fight and serious injury or death of one or both, it can also though result in to UNHAPPY fish... don't forget, bettas are territorial, even the females, and if they don't have their own space they will avoid each other and by all means mope around stressed out and uncomfortable.... because of this we HIGHLY do not recommend doing it, creating a sorority in a 10 gallon with at least 5 girls is so much more rewarding and interesting, all of the females can have their own territory AND can be social.
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

i read a lot posts where people have sorority. First i think it not really easy and a lot of work and i think it not for beginners. For sorority it has to be at least 4-5 females. And when you have sorority you always have to have extra tanks for them in case one of them will get aggressive and attach another one. Some of females just aggressive like a male and has to be kept separately.

swimmysmommy i hope you will never have any problem but watch them and i would have hospital tanks in case something happened. I don't know link i might find it but it was the post someone wrote. She had sorority for a year or so and one of female got attacked and died.

Moby for 2.5 gall i would get one betta firs get comfortable with care and then you will see...

Also never put two new bettas together . One can be sick and give it to another ....so i would always quarantine new fish . The same for the live plant .

Last edited by ANHEL123; 06-16-2012 at 11:58 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #9 
Enkil

Others have pointed out some very important things.

A 2.5 gallon is really only big enough for one fish. You have to remember that this is how much water it holds without anything in it.

A sorority is nice, but you do have to be careful. Females should only be housed together if you have 4 or more in a 10 gallon or larger. Heavily planted/decorated. They need a lot of hiding places.

Always QT a new fish before putting it with fish you already have. Same with plants. You don't want anything getting to your fish.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:56 AM   #10 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmysmommy View Post
i have 2 females in this kind of tank and they have been living there for over a year
While it may work in some extreme cases, as a general rule, it does not. Please be careful of what you post, because some people will read that and assume it's fine.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote