Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #11 
ImBlessed

Perseusmom - Thank you for the tip/reminder about the food. I picked some up today :o)

aokawhile - Freedom is located in an area where I can keep a close, if not constant eye on her. My kiddos are four and cannot reach the top cover to open it.

BettaJen - I did try that to no avail *sigh*

iElBeau - Thanks for your input. I do get encouraged when she at least comes up to the front of the tank. Whoda thunk a fish could grow on you like that?!

MODS - Sorry for starting this thread in the *wrong* area. I didn't notice until after I posted
ImBlessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #12 
ImBlessed

Well, now I think it's possible she could be bloated. She wasn't over-fed, per se. It dawned on me tonight after purchasing the New Life Spectrum small fish formula that she could very well have overdosed on the other pellets. Now I'm off to PM Old Fish Lady about the possibility of doing an Epsom salt bath for a baby betta. Of course, I welcome any sound advice!

Thanks again for letting me post whatever nilly-willy thought that hits!
Old 06-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having problems.....

It is hard to tell if she is bloated...true bloat or just a full tummy, but since she has not ate and she is clamped, a bit lethargic and not very responsive......I would go ahead and start Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and tannin while in a small Qt container floating in the heated tank to maintain temp in the 77-78F range and cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ.

The small temporary cup she came it will work great for a QT-be sure and attach it to the side of the tank so it doesn't sink.

Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and the tannin source if you have one-either IAL (1large crushed) or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (20 crushed/gal)

Use this water for 25% water changes every 15min for 1hour today

Tomorrow start 50% daily with the premixed treatment water

If you added tannins it should look darker every day and this is what you want.

If you have access to mosquito larva-offer several rinsed a couple of times a day and see if she will eat-sometimes the movement of the live food will stimulate the feeding response.....

Since she is so new and young-it may be related to her needing time to adjust, however, due to age, stress, too cool/dry air over the water, space, water movement and poor nutrition.... that most likely compromised her immune response.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #14 
ImBlessed

Thank you Old Fish Lady! I added 2 tsp to 1 gallon of dechlorinated water; placed her in a holding cup (the one she came in); then changed about 25% of her water every 15 minutes for an hour. The only thing is I do not have any tannis on hand. A quick search online indicates that my local pet stores (PetCo and PetSmart) do not carry it either. Thoughts?

To clarify, do you mean that I should do the Epsom salt bath again tomorrow, but change the water only 50% instead of 25%?

I do appreciate your (an everyone's!) response as I am obviously a newbie :o)
Old 06-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #15 
ImBlessed

Thank you for your input. When we checked on her this morning she had already passed away...
Old 06-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #16 
lelei

Oh, I am soo sorry to hear bout your lil fishy..after reading all that you was going through, and I know it's difficult especially when you are new at being a betta mommy, and try everything possible..RIP your lil Freedom>>
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote