Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2012, 06:09 AM   #11 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Cycle Log

I started a thread under "..Bowls , Habitats and Accessories." If you'd like to post the logs of your cycle there, it could be a nice cycling seminar.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...2/#post1116166
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #12 
sholee

Oh hi! I totally forgot i made this post ~ Heres my update. After the ammonia drops to 0-1, i'll probably maintain it at 2ppm rather than 4.

A silly mistake I made was that... I didn't realize there was a 2nd bottom of ammonia testing solution I was suppose to use in the API kit. So I kept dosing my tank with drops of ammonia and ended up to around 200 drops til I finally read the instruction booklet.. AHAH and my ammonia was crazy! I had to do a huge water change to make up for my noobie mistake. Learn from me guys... read instruction booklets! lols

First Week:
6/11 - 4ppm (possibly 5?)
6/12 - 4ppm
6/13 - 4ppm
6/14 - 4ppm

I'm not testing for nitrites yet since someone told me its not going to be there til my ammonia dips.
Temperature of my tank is 84 degrees. Should I raise it to 86? What happens if you pass 86 degrees?
I'm using Austin's Clear Ammonia - passed the bubble test and sniff test, got it from a small hardware store nearby my apartment because the ACE hardware store around me has closed down. Too bad their smallest amount was a gallon, this stuff is going to last me a lifetime! Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with an establish tank in which I can borrow substrate from :(

I will test the results of today's tank after I get back from work :)

Last edited by sholee; 06-15-2012 at 09:05 AM.
sholee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #13 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Your temp is fine. Anything warmer than 80* helps. 90* won't hurt your cycle.

Your ammonia is fine. How high did it get, anyway?

If you have some extra cash, you might try a small bottle of Sea-Chem Stabulity.It's the only cycle product Carl Strohmeyer recommends.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.....html#products

He also speaks highly of Fritz-Zyne.

FritzPet Products - FritzZyme TurboStart 700: Freshwater, Concentrated Live Nitrifying Bacteria

It's $12.00/oz and you'd only need 1/4oz for your 10g.

I don't know anything else about it. No other "bacteria in a bottle" has consistent recommendations. And this is not a recommendation from me.

I wonder what it would cost to mail a wet sponge....hmmmm

Last edited by Hallyx; 06-15-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #14 
sholee

Well my api test kit only goes as high as 8ppm on the chart I can compare to so I think it was at least 8ppm.

I'm always worried about trying bacteria in a bottle ways.. I don't mind the ammonia fishless cycle, since i'm not in any hurry to transfer my fish over from his 1.75g especially since he just recovered from columnaris. It's also def easier for me to keep watch on him in his little 1.75 fish bowl in case anything else pops up while I wait on the 5g to cycle.

6/15 - 4ppm

I went to my LFS today and asked the manager if he had any substrate that I could borrow, he didn't have any substrate for me but he did give me like a gallon of their cycled tanks water. I was wondering whether or not this would help my cycling? I tested the water and it was 40 ppm for nitrate and 0 for ammonia and nitrite.
sholee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:43 AM   #15 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Pretty lame not to give you a 1/2cup of gravel.

There's not much bacteria in that water, but there's probably more than in your tank.

If his fish all look healthy and active, I'd use it. Won't slow your cycle, at least.