Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #1 
NOUrTheComsat

Question Incoming betta to community.

So I had a Betta ship in, due this June 13th coming up. I've also purchased a 40 gallon aquarium for him and to start a community with a Betta two and a half weeks ago. So far, after cycling of course, I've gotten 4 mollies, 2 plecos, 7 neon tetras, 1 glowlight tetra the LFS ended giving me by accident(free fish!) and three white skirt tetras(which I mistakenly bought at wal-mart, not knowing about the dye they give them to sell them as "fruit tetras"). I also have a mix of fake silk plants and live plants.

My problem is--since this betta I have shipping in to be the centerpiece fish of the tank, should I be worried of any aggression? So far the mollies and white skirts seems to be having minor skirmishes(reminds me of a turf war) with the tiny neon tetras and their glowlight just trying to stay above the contested areas. Will my current fishes be too busy with each other to bother my future crown jewel? I will NOT be moving him as this 40 gal is more-or-less for him. (Yes, I plan to spoil him. :3)

Also, the aquarium has two filters(bought it like that from someone). Not sure if that will also pose a problem.

Hope its not too long a read, and I will provide a little more info if needed. :)
NOUrTheComsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:06 AM   #2 
NOUrTheComsat

Red face

Oh and before it turns into a misunderstanding--The little skirmishes I pointed out aren't as bad as they seem. Maybe the white skirts are just nipping things since they're fairly new but its a rather peaceful community nonetheless. I'm just concerned for the safety of my Bettas long flowing fins is all.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

Oh dear. Well I can tell you why those white skirt tetra have been having "turf wars" with the other fish. White skirt tetra are a color morph of black skirt tetra which tend to be very aggressive fish. They shouldn't be maintained in groups less than 10 and even then, they will still lash out at other tank mates. Your betta will get torn to bits by them. Black skirt tetra profile

The two plecos could also be a problem depending on the species. The common plecos will get too large for a 40 gal tank, but if you have bristlenose plecos you should be fine.

That single glowlight will also cause a problem. See if you can return him. Tetra are shoaling species and need to be in groups of 6 or more. Without enough conspecifics around tetra become fin-nippers.

Depending on how hard your water is, either your neons or your mollies will suffer. Neons do best in soft water, and mollies do best in hard water. Glowlights and black skirt tetras will actually do okay in both hard and soft water.

Personally, I would return the neons and white skirt tetra. Neons are notoriously fragile due to generations of excessive inbreeding and they are also prone to neon tetra disease. Get more glowlights to replace the neons. If your water is hard enough you could also add a few more mollies, too.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #4 
NOUrTheComsat

Alrighty. :) Any recommendations on how to place them out to a new home?

Plus I got bristle nose plecos. I did read on each kind of fish, but I only chose what I've read that could be compatible with bettas and little between each other fish. So lesson learned here.

Is there any other recommended fish that aren't listed over the web? Something less spoken over, such as archer fish? Despite it being a seemingly hot debate, I see a handful of fish a betta could pair with.

Last edited by NOUrTheComsat; 06-12-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

It's hard to find new homes for fish. Sometimes if you post on places like craigslist you can find a good home. Local aquarium clubs will sometimes hold swap meets and you could see if someone there will take them.

Other fish recommended to be kept with betta? I don't know too many as I either keep community tanks or I keep betta tanks because having a betta (or any small aggressive fish) in a community tank greatly limits your choices. But I do know that archer fish are out. They need brackish water, grow large enough to easily eat a betta, and need a 150 gal tank. Kuhli loaches are a fish that you don't commonly hear about that work well with betta. They would easily fit in your tank if you have soft water. All in the hobby are wild-caught and not very adaptable. What fish were you thinking about pairing with betta?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #6 
NOUrTheComsat

Got it :) But I doubt anyone would accept the dyed tetras unfortunately.

Archer fish were just an example :P Since I never hear from them in the hobby.
I have my eye on celestial danios and zebra danios, though I hear they are active fish that will either nip or stress my betta out. Also, maybe endlers. I remember seeing a very nice looking fish called "rosaline shark". Lastly, what I can remember at the top of my head, I am looking at bala sharks, but wouldnt they out grow my tank?

Last edited by NOUrTheComsat; 06-12-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

Ya. Most people in the hobby really look down upon dyed fish. It's cruel to the fish. You could setup a tank just for them. But if you do keep them with the betta, you'll have trouble. I guess you don't normally hear of archers, but I've been looking into the possibility of a brackish tank with archers as the centerpiece. I'm the odd exception :P

Well some of those fish would make okay betta buddies. Male Endler's might be a bit too colorful (like male guppies) and entice the male betta to attack; females could work. Zebra danio can work and you would be able to fit them in your tank; they are also very adaptable to different water parameters. Celestial pearl danios like the water a little cooler than bettas preferring temperatures below 76F. Both bala sharks and "roseline shark" more often called Denison's barb will outgrow your tank. Bala sharks will need a 125 gal tank, and Denison's barb need a 55 gallon. And both would gladly eat a betta. One of the largest problems with finding betta tankmates is finding something that won't eat your betta or won't be seen as another "betta" by your male.

You still haven't told us your tap water parameters. Depending on if you have hard or soft water, many different species will be available to you.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:32 AM   #8 
djembekah

my zebra danios do just fine with my bettas. they were with one male for awhile, now the sorority girls are in there with them. no one bugged anyone, though they'll chase each other away from food sometimes.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:37 AM   #9 
NOUrTheComsat

Well I must admit i dont know how to test hard/soft water. I can say there is a mineral build up around the rim above water. Also my PH is 6.8, if it matters. LFS sell test kits?

Lastly what would i need for celestial danios to be with my new betta?

My tank also typically sits at around 76-82 degrees F.

Last edited by NOUrTheComsat; 06-13-2012 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:42 AM   #10 
djembekah

for some reason, i think celestial danios need cooler water. you'd have to read about it though.

i DO think places like home depot sell water hardness kits.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote