Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #1 
atteb

what colors

I have a HMPK red/white salamander dumbo ears male and want to mate him to my HMPK platinum female.

What would the possible colors be?

Would i get any salamanders?

What percentage would be dumbo ears?
atteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Theoretically you will get a whole rainbow of colors. Salamanders at least carry, irid and red genes, plus other genes that makes the mutation possible. White platinum at least carries NR1, cambodian, irid, metallic (copper). IMO you will at least get some irid colors (rather pale), salamander (more to a cambodian shade), cambodian (red and irid), multi white. The out come will also be affected by background genes which we don't know.

TBH I have no experience with dumbo ears. But again theoretically you will get 100% dumbo ear geno. IME when mixing genes, you should get half dumbo ear (bigger than normal but not really dumbo). You need to spawn for F2 and 3 to get fixed dumbo ear salamander.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #3 
atteb

Thank you for that reply to my question, muchly appreciated.

This female is so hard to pair up, she seems to only like the solid white males and will hide from all other colors.

When I bought her and the male (now gone) they were both from Thailand and both HMPK Platinums. The male did not fair well and passed on but I still have her and she is a lovley betta.

I have 2 white males, one being a veiltail and the other HM. I have tried her with the veitail before and she pestered him to death. He had not interest in her at all so I removed them after 5 days.

I can try the HM white as I have not tried him before and see what happens.

My last option is a newly aquiared from Thailand HMPK dragon he is quite the boy.

Which of these two would you proceed with as the dumbo ears is not going well.
atteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Both will work. With the HM you have to decide which direction you want to breed for - long or short fin .... or both. lol. You have to separate their breeding in the following generations.

If you want definite results, you could use the drgn guy - double metallic (drgn) and single metallic (platinum) genes should be compatible.

Make sure both male and female are in breeding mode. Isolate both for a day or two, don't let them see any other betta. While you do this, feed them well with high protein foods. Then flare them - male to male and female to female. Eventually they should go into breeding mode - the male should make a bubble nest and flirt swim while the female will flirt swim every time you flare her. Near then end of their conditioning period, you could flare the pair to be bred to each other. This should ensure their willingness once they go into the breeding tank. Oh make sure you keep their water clean.

Good luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote