Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #11 
Aus

I've been doing some research re sudden mass deaths in fairly well-maintained tanks.. one thing that seemed to come up was that this happens a lot in summer, when high temps and more fluctuations in temp and ph cause bacteria like flexibacter and other nasties, parasites and such, to flourish and at the same time make the fish more susceptible to infection.

I wonder whether tank cooling systems that help the water not get high temp spikes might help?

Not the voice of experience here, lol. Just posing more questions, really.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #12 
BETTACHKALOVE

Just want to make sure that you know to do 100% daily water changes.

Good luck i hope they will get better.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #13 
BETTACHKALOVE

I was thinking how about more water changes during the warmer weather. That what i do for my bettas. Because i read that the warmer water is the more chance of the infections. So during the summer i do more water changes.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #14 
Cattitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTACHKALOVE View Post
I was thinking how about more water changes during the warmer weather. That what i do for my bettas. Because i read that the warmer water is the more chance of the infections. So during the summer i do more water changes.
My big 26 gal tank is the warmest and the only one that has had any sick fish, so I tend to agree with you re warmer water contributing to infections. I have since turned down the heater in that tank and turned off the heaters in the other tanks. I live in an apartment with no a/c and we had hot weather for the past few days.

I change the water in all of my tanks 50% twice a week normally. Now I will be changing the water in the big tank 50% every day for a few days as per OFL's advice. I do plan to change the water in my isolation tanks 100% every day.
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #15 
BETTACHKALOVE

I would say that 76-80* is the perfect temperature for bettas. My bettas live in lower temperature and they are absolutely healthy.
I do 50% and 100% water changes in all my tank which is 2.5 gall and a few 5 gall and i never have any problem.
I understand you can't do it for 26 gall though.

I hope your girls will survive :(
Old 06-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #16 
Cattitude

Quick update: One of the two fish I had in quarantine/hospital died yesterday. The other is still alive and seems a bit better than yesterday, or at least she's not getting worse. Her colour is getting darker, which is good. I've named her "L.F." for "Last Fish." I changed her water and did the 50% change in the big tank. Still no sign of any other fish getting sick.

I took a couple of pics of the fish who died yesterday, in case anyone is interested to see the degree of bloating.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #17 
BETTACHKALOVE

If your L.F have any symptoms i was wondering if it good idea to treat her with medications since you know that Epsom salt didn't help other female. Or increase Epsom salt dosage? Or use medication and Epsom salt.

Don't share anything between you sick fish and your healthy bettas.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #18 
Cattitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTACHKALOVE View Post
If your L.F have any symptoms i was wondering if it good idea to treat her with medications since you know that Epsom salt didn't help other female. Or increase Epsom salt dosage? Or use medication and Epsom salt.

Don't share anything between you sick fish and your healthy bettas.
At this point since LF seems to be surviving and getting slightly better, I'm going to stick with the current dosages of Epsom and IAL - "if it ain't broke don't fix it." If she survives but isn't better after a couple of days then I will consider medication such as an antibiotic. That's my current plan anyway, unless I receive some different advice.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #19 
Bladezero

I agree with Cattitude's approach, I don't think meds will do any good if we don't know whats causing it. Most important she's getting better!
Bladezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #20 
BETTACHKALOVE

I hope she will get better. Let us know please.