Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #11 
underdebate

Thank you for the plant tips! I've never, ever tried live plants in a tank before, but I've always wanted to and I feel like this would be a great opportunity. (Besides which, I'd really like to be able to bring these fish back in September in a really healthy, sustainable environment-- anything that'll make it easier on them when they're back in the care of the school. I'm graduating this year so I won't actually be IN there, but I'm going to university very close by and my younger sister is still at the school, so I can definitely check up on them.)

How healthy they are has really impressed me, honestly. From what I can tell, their previous owner knew a thing or two about fish; he kept several tanks in his classroom before he retired, mostly with schooling species, and as far as I know this was the smallest tank of the lot. (The other tanks were given out to teachers-- I know one of my history teachers has several catfish on his hands now.) Despite the tank size, as far as I can tell they were raised in a very good environment with regular water changes and a varied diet.

My two cats are absolutely loving the new shinies I've brought home. The tank is right next to our piano, so when it's closed they'll jump up, lay down and watch the goldies swimming. This was Josh half an hour ago:

You can also see our younger tortoiseshell, Tish, on the floor in that last one (they're both rescues; she's a year younger). Josh has since fallen asleep on the piano. It's really cute.
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #12 
djembekah

heehee how cute!
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #13 
AltheaGlyndwr

Wow those goldfish are pretty! Someday when I have a house I want to have a koi pond~~~ :D
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:38 PM   #14 
thekoimaiden

Your cats are adorable watching the fish. Mine just get bored with them.

While it's a great idea to have live plants with all fish, goldfish might not be the best fish to try them with. If you can get plants to work with goldfish, it's great, but some goldfish are monsters. They'll eat any plants, and the ones they don't eat they will just tear apart. So don't get discouraged if they don't work. Bettas will gladly accept plants. I've never heard of a vegetarian betta.

To be honest, while they look in good condition for being in a 20 gal tank for two years, even with regular water changes this is not a good environment for them. Regular water changes are no substitute for enough swimming room. A two year old comet goldfish should be pushing 12 inches. It's certainly not an environment I would recommend to anyone for these fish. But I do understand it's all you have to work with; I'm just writing this for the benefit of anyone else reading this and thinking it's a good idea.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #15 
Tikibirds

I haven't seen them touch the anacharis but they ate all the duckweed.
would they eat hornwort? Its kinda needle-ly and not so much leafy. I think the old, no longer, pinned plant guide said both of them are great at sucking up ammonia

Just out of curosity I put 4 comets and a 10G into aqua advisor and this was the result (no i did not change the color or font):
Warning: You NEED to add more aquarium filtration capacity!!!

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 15%.
Your tank is too small - it will require massive amount of frequent water changes each week!

Your aquarium stocking level is 433%.
Your tank is seriously overstocked. Unless this setup is temporary, you should consider a larger tank

It says pretty much the same thing about my sisters goldfish but the stocking level is like 250 for her. I gravel siponed 1/3 of her water tonight and it was gross.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 06-24-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #16 
thekoimaiden

Mine kinda nibble the anarcharis but haven't touched the hornwort which is great because thanks to some fertilizer it's growing like a weed and my nitrates are finally down below 20 ppm. They devoured the duckweed, tho. I completely gave up on the duckweed. I'll plop some in there when it overgrows the other tanks as a snack. Hornwort is by far my favorite goldfish plant.

Anubias and java fern are two plants that I often hear do well with goldfish because they can't really be uprooted and have tough leaves. Can't really speak from experience with those plants, tho.

Ya, Tiki. The tank is pretty grossly overstocked, but there isn't much that can be done about it because I'm pretty sure the teacher doesn't want a 100 gal tank in the classroom (although that would be pretty awesome). Any time I clean my goldfish tank or filters I'm always amazed at just how much crap (litterally sometimes) in there. I rinse off my sponges in pitchers filled with old tank water, and the water gets sooo dirty it looks like tea. I offered some to my mom as a joke. And she almost took me up on the offer! Until she looked closer.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:01 AM   #17 
Tikibirds

Quote:
The tank is pretty grossly overstocked, but there isn't much that can be done about it because I'm pretty sure the teacher doesn't want a 100 gal tank in the classroom
Yeah, I know. I was just curious as to what aqua advisor would say since I was fiddling around with it anyways. *wants 100 gallon tank of her own* Oh the possibilities....
Are commets the ones that are sold as feeders?

I wonder if one could have a natural pool like this with fish? From what I understand - they do not have any pool chemicals in them and the plants do the filtering. I bet the goldies would LOVE that. I would love one of these pools:

http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-h...g-pools-460908

Last edited by Tikibirds; 06-25-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #18 
thekoimaiden

Comets are technically a little different than what is sold as feeder fish. Comets are usually a little thinner and have longer tails. Shubunkins are just comets with a calico color. I usually lump all of these varieties together under the category "single-tailed goldfish" because the care for all of them is basically the same.

I would love to have a 100 gal tank, too. I think a lot of us fish-geeks would. But to most people, that's just a bit tooo big. Plus a tank that big would be a bit of a distraction at school. I'm sure the kids wouldn't mind it tho!

I've never heard of those natural pools, but the idea sounds awesome. I did a little bit more digging into the idea and found out you can keep fish in them. If I ever got stupid rich, I would want one of these with a few goldfish in my backyard, too. Along with a 50,000 gal koi pond. ^-^
Old 06-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #19 
Tikibirds

A lot of those pools look like they are ponds. I wonder how they keep the algae down and keep it from getting all slimy, unless they have like a massive filter or something somewhere
Old 06-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #20 
underdebate

Oh my god, those pools look amazing. I have a whole new motivation for wanting to get rich.

Out of curiosity, and because I feel like I know comparatively little about goldies compared to bettas, what's the minimum tank size for a single comet, or a shubunkin? (All I really know is that four in a 15ish-gallon is grossly too small, but I'm pretty sure anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of fish could've figured that out.) Are there other breeds of goldies that have smaller space requirements?

ETA: It just occurred to me that I'm pretty sure one of these boys is a shubunkin, and not a comet-- his body is shaped a little differently and his tail is shorter.

Last edited by underdebate; 06-25-2012 at 08:40 PM.
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote