Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #11 
Tigress

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairy74 View Post
Do you suggest i add two more sooner rather than later? i am only going to have just the four and no more fish.
They are trying to tell you that it's not a good idea to have 2 females in a tank that size and shape. They are still adjusting to the tank. Once they settle in, the nipping will start. It's how they are. It's too small of a space for 2, so it's not a good idea to add anymore.

I would actually get another tank and separate them. It's not a question of IF they start nipping/fighting. It's WHEN they start nipping/fighting. And it will happen. The others who have posted agree on this too.

If females are going to be housed together, they need to have a minimum of 4 girls to balance out the nipping/fighting. Your tank cannot handle 4 girls - it is way too small. If you want more females, you need to upgrade to a bigger tank.
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #12 
cjayBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
Betta aggression

Betta splendens are naturally aggressive. While most bettas found in stores and owned by fish keepers, are domesticated types. They still contain many traits that there wild cousins Have Such as aggression. Betta splendens are highly aggressive fish that are territorial and never should be housed together unless in breeding circumstances, or unless it is a female Betta sorority. A common misconception is that female bettas and males can be safely housed together permanatly. You won't believe how many times I've seen threads with. "new member here with issues!" and the information in the thread is regarding a lethargic male or female Betta that have been housed together. One of which has very ripped fins.

Some things to follow when considering placing male or female bettas in the same aquarium with complete access to eachother with no divider, and not in a breeding situation.

Disclaimer --- some or all of these combinations do not apply for grow out tanks, and breeding situations. Also. Everybody have a different fish, each witha different personality, not all bettas do not survive together. But as a guideline they shouldn't be housed together

Male x male combinations do not work out well unless the tank is heavily planted and 100+ gallons so each one has it's own territory. Aggression should also be constantly monitored.

Male x Female combinations shouldn't be attempted unless in a breeding situation. Naturally after breeding and when it's not occuring. A male Betta splendens will chase the female away, if she doesn't get out of his territory. He will severely hurt her or kill her. From the constant sight if another Betta. Both will be stressed

Female x female combinations can only work under certain circumstances. Only with 4+ females and a heavily planted tank upwards of 10 gallons should this be attempted. 2-3 bettas won't work as either 2 might pair up and kill the least dominant one or one will kill or constantly bother/stress the other

I just decided to make a little sheet that had, commonly sold, easy to care for and cheap compatible fish for bettas
if anyone has any corrections on this, please comment and ill edit it

Some Betta fish will NOT tolerate tank mates and will go on a killing frenzy when introduced to other fish, so if you do decide to keep your Betta with other fish. Make sure that you have a backup plan incase It doesn't work. And make sure that you add the Betta last, because this will prevent some aggresion. If you add it first then the Betta will claim its territory and then when you introduce the new fish the Betta will think that the new fish are in his territory and kill the fish

generally compatible fish for bettas

----Name of fish-------minimum tank size------minimum group number
Ember tetras--------10 gallons----------six
Habrosus cories--------10 gallons----------six
hastatus cories------10 gallons-------------six
Von-rio tetras-------------15 gallons---------ideally 7 or more
Pristilla tetras------------10 gallons-----------six
Head and light tetras----10-------------------six
Cherry barbs----------15 gallons----------------six
Neon tetras-------------10 gallons------------ Six
Neons tetras can be a bit nippy when kept in small numbers so you would need atleast 6 to house them properly with a Betta
galaxy rasboras------------10 gallons-----------Six
panda and pygmy cories------10 gallons-----------Six
most other cories-----------15-20 gallons -----Six
harlequin rasbora -----------10 gallons---------Six
non fancy female guppies------10 gallons ------- Three
endlers livebearers------------10gallons---------Three
zebra danios-----------------3.5 foot tank-------Six
Bristle nose plecos------------2.5 foot tank-------One
Bushy nose plecos-------------2.5 foot tank------One
non colorful platies------------10 gallons---------Three
glo fish----------------------3.5 foot tank--------Six
rummy nose tetras------------15 gallons-----------Six
glo light tetras----------------10 gallons----------Six
cardinal tetras----------------15 gallons----------Six
X ray tetras-------------------10 gallons----------Six
"feeder guppies"---------------10 gallons-----------Three
Khuli loaches------------------2 foot tank--------Six
Scissor tail rasboras-------------10 gallons----------Six
Otos---------------------------10 gallons---------3 - 4
Bloodfin tetras-------------------15 gallons-------- Six
Rasbora Brigittae-----------------5 gallons----------Six
Black neon tetras------------------15 gallons-------six
Yoyo loaches

Shrimp that are compatible with bettas

Ghost shrimp---------------------2.5 gallons --------one
Amano shrimp-------------------2.5 gallons----------one
Cherry shrimp-------------------2.5 gallons---------one
and a little note about shrimp, they are a hit and miss, some bettas are fine with shrimp and some aren't but all of my bettas have been fine with shrimp that are over 1 inch. I would suggest that a well planted tank with lots of cover should be used when having small ghost shrimp or cherry shrimp

Snails that are compatible with bettas

Apple snails------------------10 gallons-----------one
Ramshorn snails------------5 gallons---------one
Malaysian trumpet snails---2.5 gallons--------one
Pond snails--------------------2.5 gallons---------one
Nerite snails------------------5 gallons----------one
Snails are a hit and miss too with bettas some will tolerate them but some will chop their feelers off

sometimes compatible fish with bettas

---Name of fish------------Minimum tank size------minimum group number

male, and female Fancy guppies----------10 gallons-----------three
Sparkling gouramis------------------------10 gallons----------one
bright and colorful platies----------------10 gallons-----------three
Black widow tetras----------------------20 gallons------------Eight to not be as nippy
sword tails----------------------------2 ft. Tank------------Three
Mollies-------------------------------25 gallons ----------3
Lyre tail guppies-----------------------10 gallons-------------Three

Fish that are rarely compatible with bettas

Including information regarding minimum group and tank size for this part of the list would most likely encourage people to further on and try the compatibilities which I wouldn't recommend.

Serpae tetras
other bettas
SA cichlids
NW cichlids
Dwarf gouramis
Tiger barbs
Honey gouramis
Angel fish
Honey gouramis
Boesemani rainbows
Red tailed sharks
Any type of crayfish with claws over half an inch

Hope this helped!
This is awesome - you should post this in the betta care section and have it sticky'd - unless it alrede is and I have not noticed.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #13 
fairy74

Thanks for all the replys.
I have taken on board all the great advice and decided on a 120 litre tank.
There are so many around can you recommend a good quality but affordable tank?
The two females are still getting on well(no nipping or chasing as yet)was quite suprised today how eager one was to eat..she jumped right out to get to my hand
Thanks in advance.
fairy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #14 
kfryman

I would just get a tank and build it up, a lot of things that cone with tanks are garbage, I have literally replaced every single thing that came with the 15 gallon kit, besides the actual tank, it was over a few months though so yeah. However if you don't mind and aren't as picky as I am, just get a kit.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #15 
Sakura8

Get a tank that is rectangular and low, not narrow and tall. The more space the fish have to swim back and forth, the better.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #16 
MaisyDawgThirteen

120 litres is roughly 30 gallons, right? You could probably have 18 females on their own in there. ;) Or you could have less (maybe 6) and have some bottom feeders as well.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #17 
fairy74

Just a quick question...my new 120 litre tank will be here Thursday and will be cycled for 4-6 weeks,so in the meantime as predicted my smaller betta is chasing the larger around a fair bit so would it be wise to perhaps add 1 or 2 more females untill they move to their new tank,i would redesign the tank and perhaps add a floating plant then add them together to lessen any aggresion.
I asked my sister if she would take one but she has a male betta in her tank and the pet shop are not interested in taking her back...its kinda weird the smaller betta being the boss.
fairy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #18 
Sakura8

You can try it but the better course would be to separate the two you have now. If that isn't possible and you intend on getting more females anyway then you might as well try it. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote