Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #1 
Lizzie the Badger

I may have a problem (?)

I have had my three veil tail female bettas for months. Unsure how many, I lost count. xP

They seem pretty healthy. They swim around,eat, etc... but problems have been popping up for the last couple of months.

The first was with Zetta. Zetta is bi-colored, there is another word to describe her but I forgot. When I bought her from Petco she was white with purplish pink fins and "cheeks" if you will. The pink started to fade though as she grew. The color had left her tail clear and was starting to disappear on her dorsal and anal fin. The past week it started to come back. On the tail is two purple specks that just appeared. I have no idea how or why this is happening.

Then there's Ritz and Ruby, they are both red. Ritz clenches her tail together sometimes. It happens when she stops swimming, but it does not happen every time she pauses. Ruby only lightly clenches her tail not as much as Ritz.
Lizzie the Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

Hmm. Could you give us a little more information? Like tank size? Water temp? Cleaning schedule? Clamped fins and loosing color are generally not good signs.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #3 
Lizzie the Badger

Sorry. ^^'

I have a 10 gallon tank with a heater, light, and filter. Temperature is usually 80-82 it may fall to 76 degrees. I usually clean it every 2 weeks.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

Wait... are all three females in the same tank without a divider? If that is the case, this is the cause of your problems. When keeping a tank of betta females, you should have more than 5 together and the tank should also be heavily decorated with tall plants. Keeping any less than that will result in stressed fish. Loosing color and clamped fins are signs of stress.

Have you read about cycling? Is your tank cycled?
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

At least 4, safely. Three can be very stressful. I highly recommend to stuff that tank! =D TONS pf plants, live and soft fake ones make a great hideaway spot for any refugee female hidey holes, and all that =D
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #6 
Lizzie the Badger

I have not read about cycling, so I'm unsure if my tank is or not. I will try to find out though.

Yes, they are in a tank together, before i got them a person told me that its fine, just as long as they are in odd numbers. Apparently they didn't know what they were talking about. My tank isn't heavily decorated but there is fake plants, some tall some short. And two other decorations they use to hide.

I don't think I can add anymore fish in the tank, right? Would a 15 gallons tall tank work? Or would it have to be 20 gallons tall?
Old 06-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #7 
Lizzie the Badger

@Sena Hensler, sorry I did not see your post. Yay, now I have an excuse to go to the pet store! XD
Old 06-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

You can have a 10 gallon, for up to 8 females. But, if you wanted a bigger tank DON'T go for a tall, IMO. you will want to go for a long, or a regular. They'll scout out territory remember :) Long before regular, regular before tall... Bettas like wide better than tall.

hahaha yay excuses :p
Old 06-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #9 
Lizzie the Badger

Okay ^^ That helps a lot.

Would you happen to know a store that sells freshwater plants? XD I'm hoping to buy Java moss to help stuff the tank.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Most stores that carry fish, like petsmart, petcetera (canada only?), petco, etc. Just if you do NOT want snails, give them a good swish and rinse in aquarium water.