Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #11 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaoilover12397 View Post
Thanks for the advice OFL. My concern on that is the only live plants I use are Marimo Moss Balls also, on where to get snails.
Where then will the female hide? Well, not so much hide as escape. She needs an escape route. In the wild they just run away if chased, in the tank, they have no where to do. The Thailand breeders spawn in small bowls with plants in it, they also keep it covered so perhaps it is too dark to chase her?

Jeff.

Last edited by jeffegg2; 06-13-2012 at 03:46 PM.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #12 
Yaoilover12397

Ah, I have fake plants and a decoration with hiding places in it for that. I just meant I don't have live pants other then Marimo.
Yaoilover12397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #13 
indjo
TFK Moderator

You have fry food cultures, right? Then you don't need an assortment of plants for the fry. Plants and snails are more for infusoria/micro critters to feed fry during their first few days of free swimming. If you have cultures, you could feed them to fry once they're free swimming. For female's getaway, you could use anything.

Many South East Asians breed in 1g bare tanks - not recommended unless you have more experience and know what you,re doing. Keeping tank covered and dark doesn't mean it's safer for the female.... trust me.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #14 
Yaoilover12397

I was told not to start buying/making my cultures until the fry are spaned/become free swimming.
Yaoilover12397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #15 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
I was told not to start buying/making my cultures until the fry are spaned/become free swimming.
Well, you can have some micro worms going, those cultures last for weeks... But the Baby Brine Shrimp only last a couple days so....

I keep three cultures of micro worms, and after spawning two 2liters of BBS.

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #16 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
If you have never grown MW cultures or hatched BBS...its a good idea to practice before you need it...

As Jeff posted MW last for as long as you want....as long as you feed the MW and refresh the culture media-one culture can last forever.

BBS-its best to feed newly hatch BBS with yolk sac intact for the first 2-4 weeks if BBS is the only food source-you need to make sure you can get them to hatch and have viable eggs....

I like to keep two hatcheries going 24 hours apart...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote