Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #11 
Spazzfish

Lol underwear gardening.
Do not buy those bulbs i went through to packs and a pack of the dwarf lillies they do not grow all they do is make your water stink then you have to go and do a bajillion water changes . You are better off finding a store that sells plants.
Spazzfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #12 
Bounce

Not too long ago I bought two tiger lotus bulbs from my LFS. I had never had a bulb plant and the owner instructed me not to bury the bulb at all but to just drop it in the tank. I followed his instruction and in just a matter of days I could see a little sprout emerging from each bulb. I was so excited!

Sunday when I was doing my water change, I decided to move one lotus plant to a different spot and as soon as I touched it, the bulb separated from the plant. I was sure I had killed it but went ahead and replanted the plant in its new spot any way. Even though the plant had huge roots I figured it would die since it was now separated from the bulb and I assumed the bulb had rotted and this was the reason it had broke loose from the plant so easily but it still felt firm just like it did when I first bought it so I just dropped it back in the tank.

On Monday, to my surprise, I saw this:

A new sprout! And today there's a second one!
(That's the bulb to the left of the plant)

After doing some research I've now discovered that the bulb is the seed from which the plant germinates and that it doesn't have to be attached to survive. I'm just so glad I didn't throw it away Sunday!
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #13 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yea, you don't wanna bury it because sometimes people bury it upside down and then get confused as to why it never grew.
I may have to try that with my bulbs. Well, don't most aquatic plants work like that anyways?
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #14 
djembekah

by plant growth bulbs, i meant the light bulbs xD
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #15 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yea, home depot. 6500k fluorescent tube.
Well, actually I dunno, what is the light bulb like in this tank? Might not be a tube.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #16 
djembekah

i'm not sure yet, i haven't bought it, and walmart.com says like nothing about it, and i'm not even totally sure the one online is the same as the one in store. i'll have to see when i bring it home xD
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #17 
Silverfang

You can do a moss wall with java mos, or any moss really.

http://www.aquamoss.net/How%20to%20c...oss%20wall.htm
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #18 
ZackyBear

I popped in here since the topic name was interesting :o I have a question....would it be possible to start plants out in something like a mason jar? I've always wanted to try to grow some for my platy tank since it's so....bare.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant a mason jar on my windowsill to provide sunlight~ Looking for good starter plants as I type this xD

Last edited by ZackyBear; 06-13-2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Forgot something
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #19 
Twilight Storm

Yes you can grow some of the aquatic plants in small containers and later add them to your tanks if that's what you mean ZackyBear. I have a lot of aquatic plant pieces in quarantine at the moment cluttering up my washroom counter in a bunch of jars and bowls right now lol.

It's best to look up the needs of the plant first though. Some more delicate plants might do best in a current, or need certain lighting even in a jar.

I popped in here too because of the name of the post. :D

I just got a foam planter basket that floats on top of a pond from a neighbor. She was going to throw it away. I grabbed it to put a juncus spiralis in it. (spiral rush, although I don't think I spelled the name right) I have a half whiskey barrel liner to float the basket in at the moment, although I may use a different container to float the foam basket in.

I need ideas on making a mini bog/water feature, I would like to use at least 1 juncus in the whiskey barrel liner. Soil ideas would be nice so I might even be able to keep a few minnows in the whiskey barrel liner with the plant/ plants. I don't want to poison any fish I might put in there with dirt that could fall out of the floating basket or regular pot I keep the plants in.

These are the things I have

The basket I have is about 6 inches and doesn't have a hard bottom I am guessing because its OLD. But it's just like this made entirely of foam with drain holes on the bottom.

Half whiskey barrel liner

pic of juncus spiralis, it gets to be about 14 inches. Mine are in 4 inch pots atm sitting in a birdbath to keep them wet LOL

I think this is the other juncus I picked up. If it's not, it's like this one, with strait leaves and little flowers coming out the sides of the leaves.

I figured someone here might be experienced with bog type plants. I would LOVE to use these baskets for fish tanks too but again I don't want to poison tanks with things that might leach through into the water.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #20 
ZackyBear

Wow, those are actually very nice *w*

I was looking into things like Moneywart, Java moss/fern, and duckweed. I have plenty of mason jars to get them started/quarantined then :D
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chat, fertilizer, leaves, plants, roots