Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #1 
balbrt1

plants..need help

I bought a java fern for tank. How do I plant it in the gravel . I do not have sand or dirt .
balbrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

You can float it :) or tie it down to something. if you bury it, only bury the roots, not the rhizomes
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #3 
Anitax3x

I leave mine floating, my betta's love it. it does better floating or tied to drifwood/rock
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:48 AM   #4 
coder14

Sometimes I use various size PVC end caps as small pots, out of the tank place your java fern in a pvc end cap then genlty fill in with substrate just like you were potting a normal flower, then place it gently in the tank.
coder14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #5 
Laki

You don't want to risk burying the wrong part of a java fern! They are not meant to be totally buried in substrate, anchor it to driftwood or another decoration and it should thrive. I always let mine float-sink and it did fine (until my water quality killed it)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #6 
Shadyr

Mine floats. I usually try to wedge it between a couple of rocks but it keeps coming loose. I gave it. It seems happy to me, so it's all good.

Plants and gravel confounds me too, so my versions of NPT so far has been "Toss live plants in tank, ???, profit" Seems to be working so far, I've only had plants in two of the three for a couple of weeks tho.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #7 
coder14

alot really depends on your substrate. I use a red sea flora base that is loose and doesn't pack, in many cases your substrate would be fine to plant jave ferns in.
coder14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #8 
teeneythebetta

It will die if you plant it in the gravel.

What i did for my java fern is I bought a fake rock decoration and cut the fake plants off. Then I tied it to the rock. I'm still giving it time to grow until the roots attach themselves. I tied it with a cotton string.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

If it has long roots you can bury those up to the rhizome and it will eventually root itself into the substrate.

I usually superglue the rhizome of the java fern to a small rock or piece of slate and let this sit on the bottom. You can also use superglue to attach it to wood or decorations.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #10 
IndeedPanda

I buried mine... It's doing well. I have Eco-Complete substrate. I didn't know not to bury it, but since I've had it is has doubled in size. It's near my Tiger Lotus. I have no idea why the image is sideways, when I saved it, it was horizontal.
IndeedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote