Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #21 
GFarra

Hi Everyone,

I'm still here LOL! Work got in the way :(

Thank you all for the additional information. Based on what you all have told me and the add'l info I've read it appears that it was a combo of a poor dechlorinator and possibly temperature shock. His gills did look inflammed and was kind of twitchy in his behavoir, which was totally out of character.

I will definately look into using Prime in the future. I also have the API master water test kit, but noticed last night that it doesn't have a solution to test for chlorine/chlorimine. Any recommendations on additional water testing apperatus? I would like to continue to use tap water.

I did clean out the bowl with hot water and threw out the gravel and silk plant that was in there. In the event I use the bowl again I figured best to start over. I did find a 5 gallon tank at Walmart that was reasonably priced which included a filter and heater, so I will most likely go that route for my next Betta.

Thank you all again for your help

Regards

George
GFarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:49 AM   #22 
Tazo

You don't really need a chlorine/chloramine test if you're using a good water conditioner. That will remove it from the start and since it's not a natural chemical it won't build up after that. So you should be good with what you have!
Heehee, I know exactly which tank you're talking about from Walmart. I'm really considering getting one myself... eventually. I really need to stop fantasizing about buying more fish stuff
Tazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:16 AM   #23 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Just a tip for making your water changes easier - I got a bunch of buckets from a dollar store, used a measuring cup to measure the buckets to see where 1 gallon was, and marked it on the outside (so as not to contaminate the water, but you can scratch the bucket with a scissor to mark it too.) I always leave a filled gallon or 2 of water out, with a 1/2 tablespoon of aquarium salt in it, so that the salt mixes and so that I always have some water the same temperature or very close to my tanks.

Also. . if you have a bigger tank you maybe won't have to change as often and stress out your fish. I mean, how peaceful can it be to be taken out of your tank every day or so? I still don't think you killed your fish, I am just saying how you could make things easier for both you and your next fish.

May I suggest a 2.5 gallon plain old glass tank? It' a good shape for bettas and it looks small, I just measured mine: it's just under 8.5 inches tall, 12 inches across the wide front part, and 6 inches wide (at the sides.) That is really not so big, but a decent size for a betta. I got mine the other day at Petsmart.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:52 AM   #24 
GFarra

Thank you for the water changing tip. I did something similar but used old Poland Spring bottles (gallon size). I always kept 2 ready to go. I also left the caps off the bottles
GFarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #25 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFarra View Post
Thank you for the water changing tip. I did something similar but used old Poland Spring bottles (gallon size). I always kept 2 ready to go. I also left the caps off the bottles
Me too! Hi 5! love those bottles!
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #26 
Laki

I'm getting into the habit of aging water as well since the smelly snails need clean water every 2 days -_- I just cleaned 2L pop bottles and drilled a hole in the cap (for gases to release through).. I think it's a great way to save conditioner for water changes! Just be careful doing a water change since room temp aged water is much colder than the heater tank, you'll need to do acclimating.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote