Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #1 
unitednations161

betta yellow spots, ghost shrimp dying.

My betta has these yellow spots on its fin, which seems worse now.

[/IMG]

And I've lost quite a few ghost shrimp lately, they are turning white and dying. Any ideas?
unitednations161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

Ghost shrimps are notorious for being able to die off for no reason. this is mostly due to their bad handling and treatment during shipping. Most ghost shrimps are considered as feeder shrimps. If your fish isn't acting out if the ordinary, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just keep an eye out for changes in behaviour
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #3 
unitednations161

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Ghost shrimps are notorious for being able to die off for no reason. this is mostly due to their bad handling and treatment during shipping. Most ghost shrimps are considered as feeder shrimps. If your fish isn't acting out if the ordinary, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just keep an eye out for changes in behaviour
Yeah, but it seems odd the same time my beta gets these yellow spots on her fins, clumps of something, the ghost shrimp all die when they lived in there for 6 months already fine.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

hmmm, are you sure the spots are not white and the coloung of the water is making it look yellow? Sorry I'm not a disease expert. perhaps you should PM someone
Old 06-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #5 
unitednations161

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
hmmm, are you sure the spots are not white and the coloung of the water is making it look yellow? Sorry I'm not a disease expert. perhaps you should PM someone
they look yellow so i have no idea. maybe they are white. who should I PM?
Old 06-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitednations161 View Post
they look yellow so i have no idea. maybe they are white. who should I PM?
sakura8 seems to be online, else you can try Oldfishlady.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:09 AM   #7 
lyolya

i had a pleco with what looked like yellow spots. here, i'll show ya. turned out to be ich. So I'd say that's what you have. Hope my visual helped! :)
Attached Images

lyolya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #8 
unitednations161

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyolya View Post
i had a pleco with what looked like yellow spots. here, i'll show ya. turned out to be ich. So I'd say that's what you have. Hope my visual helped! :)
Should i treat for ich then? How should i go about doing this with the snails and ghost shrimp in there?
Old 06-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #9 
lyolya

hmm. I'm no expert on shrimp, i've only had a couple and they both died trying to shed. I know they're sensitive to most medications, especially ones containing copper. like snails. but i think shrimp are more delicate.

because both shrimp and snails are unlikely to host the parasite maybe you could quarantine ur betta and treat it separately. u'd still need to change water in the main tank and vacuum gravel really really good. i'd also still increase temp and add a bit of salt in there, but maybe someone else could advise you on proper dosage because i can't vouch for what shrimp can handle. Unlesssss!.. you don't have many shrimp and you can just quarantine them and snails and treat the fish in the main tank. That would be better i imagine.

Kordon Ich attack is supposed to be safe for everything, but to my tank it did absolutely nothing. but some people swear by it.

Metronidazole is what helped me, but it could affect your shrimp if you just doze the water. However, if you also get a food sealant you could just feed the fish medicated food (and that's supposed to me more effective anyways). so you could try that.

as far as treating just the fish, you can pick between heat and meds

i hope someone who's more educated on shrimp will respond though
lyolya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #10 
Silverfang

ANY salt will kill shrimp. They are beyond sensitive.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote