Housing
What size is your tank? 1.8g
What temperature is your tank? 76-78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? hikari pellets 3 pellets a day, 6 days a week.
How often do you feed your betta fish? once in the morning, once in the afternoon, and once at night.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% water change mid week and 100% water change at the end of the week.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? white cotton like fuzz all over his lower fin
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? lethargic, takes more effort to feed him his pellets... he usually races to the surface whenever he sees me but now he's stayin at the bottom of the tank and I have to get his attention by waving my finger in front of the glass to feed him his food.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a few days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? He's on day three of having salt treatments, 1 teaspoon for 1 gallon (only giving him a gallon of water to swim in during this time) and 100% water changes daily.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, he was tail biting a month or two ago which i thought might have been fin rot but i never saw chunks of his tail on the bottom of them tank so i assumed it was just tail biting and it was healing on its own.
How old is your fish (approximately)?I'm not sure, I picked him up from petco at the end of Dec. 2011, so i'm assuming he's around 10months old+

I'm on day 3 of the salt treatment for my betta, the white fuzz doesn't seem to be going away and it looks like little pieces of his fins are breaking apart that the white fuzz is surrounding. I'm really worried about my betta!! the first thing i do when i wake up is check on him to make sure he's still alive. :'(

PLEASE EXCUSE THE SMALL CUP MY BETTA'S IN, IT WAS ONLY TO TAKE A PICTURE OF HIS FINS.
sholee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:39 AM   #2 
SarahandOscar

It's got to be a fungus of some description???? have you read the sticky on fungus and treatments? I've had no personal experience so maybe wait a few more hours for advice???
SarahandOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:43 AM   #3 
Luimeril

i've never figured out what it was, but my Cup used to get it on his fins if i didn't catch a rip in time. i'd get rid of it with a water change and some Aquarium Salt, premixed with water into a cup and slowly added to his tank water.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:54 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

upp that slowly to 3tsps/ gallon (watch for any bad reactions) stabilize the tank temperature at about 75F to slow down the fungus/ bacteria. try to do 100 water changes twice weekly, (or everyday if you can) clean absolutely everything and rinse with hot water when performing water changes. (switching to a bare bottom Qt tank can really help here).

Keep an eye out on the spread of the infection. medicate if no improvements are seen :S

if it gets too close to the body I would get a sharp razor blade and just cut off the infected part :S but that's just how I would handle it. not recommended lolol
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #5 
sholee

i am slowly adding more salt to his tank by diluting it in a cup of water first, hopefully this gets rid of that nasty white fuzz on his fin!

*prays*

*crosses fingers*
Old 06-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #6 
Silverfang

sounds like you have him on the right treatment. IF possible lower the water temp to 75, if fungal it will thrive in warmer temps.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:02 AM   #7 
sholee

Good news! a large chunk of the white fuzz fell off his body, taking a few parts of the fin with it but i'm glad its finally off him. Theres still a small amount of fuzz left, but it seems to be detaching as well! I'm so excited. Thanks guys! The water is hovering around 75-76 degrees right now as I don't have a heater that I can preset the temperature to. So I'm just blasting the air conditioner in my room so that the temperature will even out.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:24 AM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

Yay! :D hopefullythe fishie will get better soon and regrow and splendid tail!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #9 
Silverfang

oh good, I hate the white fuzzies
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #10 
sholee

Hey guys, the 2nd part of the white fuzz has detached itself last night and there were a few microscopic white fuzz on the ends of his fin but when I did his water change tonight, I didn't really see them anymore. What should my next step be? Tonight will be his 6th day in salt water.. I decreased the salt to 2 teaspoon/gal seeing as I don't see white fuzz on his fins anymore. Should I leave him in salt water for longer? 4 days? before I put him back in freshwater?