Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #11 
Twilight Storm

I was reading a newspaper article today and learned the river near where I live was contaminated with industrial radioactive thorium, and is one of 4 sites on the National Priorities List destined for federal environmental clean up.... It doesn't surprise me now why so many people around here had gotten cancer now... It's kind of scary I played in the river when I was little, and this same water was connected to a "beach"...

Anyway

They released a bunch of small mouth bass into the river and tagged them for study to see just how contaminated the river still is. They took down a few dams and changed designs on a few others to allow flood plains to function more normally and allow these newly introduced bass to swim up the river.

Fishermen in the area are to report catching any of these tagged fish by contacting a number on their tags and supply the tag number and color, date of capture, location, and the length of fish to the department of natural resources. Releasing the tagged fish back into the river is also important.

They wish to see where the fish stay and go in the river to I guess pinpoint highly problematic areas still in the river.

Another area near me is investing money on a nature center to be constructed in a park, as well as other improvements to the park. The main focus of the both the nature center and improvements will be to celebrate the river and water in general.

I find this wonderful, the area needs something like this to bring awareness to how important water is to us, and the land in general. I find it really disturbing that America seems to be the most backwards out of all the countries in the world in preserving the beauty natural resources and areas. I mean America may not be on some official list, but it's sickening to see what should be beautiful places trashed with graffiti and garbage, dog poop and general uncaring attitudes of people you come in contact with in these places.

We haven't had much rain lately. The lawns have mostly died off in big patches, if you have plants outside they need to be watered a couple times a day with the heat. It's refreshing that the newspaper focused on how important water, "life's blood" is, to both us and the ecosystem....

Maybe it would be worth me looking into studies centered on different age groups involving water quality and care and bringing them up in one of the meetings involving the park when the center is finished.

Maybe there are some studies involving bettas in the classroom setting I can look into as well (if I can get the ball rolling with breeding) if the center is interested. This might also serve another purpose in getting more people interested in the addicting little fish we all love lol. (don't know about that one yet, just wanted to jot it down so I didn't forget) Who knows... Maybe someday I can see if a show can be held there if the place is big enough? What better place to hold a fish show then a nature center dedicated mainly to water.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:27 AM   #12 
Twilight Storm

Well I am now a member officially of the International Betta Congress!!

As of Tuesday June 26, 2012, everything is fixed with the membership. They responded very quickly even though I have issues using paypal the right way, and got everything set up correctly.

My friend didn't know how to use it either, even though it was his. *shrugs* I wouldn't have expected him to, he hates computers and rarely uses paypal.

I must admit there is a lot of information to go through, but so far I am impressed.

Baby Betta:
Since I have been training my baby betta everyday for a week he starts to flare when he sees me pick up my mirror lol. He even throws his ventral fins out in the pretty little "walking" position now.

Louise:
She was talking a lot today and I think she said Breeze. I will have to see if she will keep saying it to know for sure. It will be nice if she learns the song, or at least blurts out some words of it while I sing to her lol. She still listens intently when I sing or talk to her.

Still looking for a pair of USA fish.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:59 AM   #13 
Twilight Storm

I have three, of the four gallon water jugs now, and another one being consumed. I am going to look on some websites and see if anything sparks my interest in drip systems. I think I want to keep their water self contained to each fish though just as a precaution.

I am also looking into a shelf people talk of that can hold like 600 pounds(or something) of weight per shelf. I may put the 29 gallon on it and some "jars" Although I may need to move the fish from this room if I really want to utilize the shelf to the full potential. There is only one room in this house that isn't over a basement or on the second floor, and is built onto a concrete slab.

I've felt like crud past few days, think i'm getting better. Hard to say. Eye doc is trying to wean me off the meds he has me on, hopefully the infection doesn't come back again on top of everything else. This time it's not both meds only one at a time.

Started to print out the IBC manual lol ran out of ink must remember to go get ink tomorow, and pick up a new filter for the 5 gallon baby betta is in.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #14 
Aus

Daughter has a macaw on her Sims game named: 'Macaw-lay Culkin'.."

Louise is so pretty! And I'm glad your eye is better, cross fingers it stays that way. Sorry you've been ill on top of it..
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:26 AM   #15 
Twilight Storm

Put up a want-add in the IBC website for blue plakats.

Louise was sitting on my arm for about a half hour today, and she said "Gimmie a kiss." twice in a deep man voice, i'm guessing was her owners. :) I've never heard her say that before. I grabbed her beak between my fingers and kissed the top of her head both times because I kind of value my nose just in case she decided to protest me kissing her. She kept getting scared of the chihuahuas moving around while she was out on my arm. I decided to see if she picks up on the Dragnet theme song. She makes singing noises to it, and it's kind of funny. ;)

-- Aus, Tell your daughter good name for the macaw in her game. :D Seriously though if you all wanted a nice smaller bird with "big parrot" personality cockatiels are really great, if you get a hand fed baby. Louise is really great but she quite heavy to carry around, and my arm looks like i've been cutting myself, or got attacked by a severely ticked off cat, because of her nails. Don't know if a cockatiel would pick up quite as much speech though. The bigger parrots are a lot smarter then the smaller ones. Macaws seem to be like border collies, they need lots of stimulation or they make up their own "games".

I don't want to risk loosing the trust i've built with her to clip her wings or nails, so i'm getting help later this week. I don't want to be associated at all with bad things right now since we have made it so far. I still go over the names of things in her cage with her daily. She listens to me, hoping one day she says somethings name when I point to it. I go and name all her body parts like beak, wing, nail, etc etc too, and some of my own, so she can associate the words with things. She watches and listens so intently. She also has been demanding to come out on my arm daily now, I think that is maybe part of the reason she said "gimmie a kiss" twice. Maybe she's starting to associate me with good feelings. Her owner always sat with her on his chest and scratched her wings. She had given me a warning "bite" today too and my hand was inside her mouth. She didn't crunch down, but we both gave each other a look afterwards that seemed to show we knew what could have happened. lol I'm still not really offering her my hand in such a way that it's IN her mouth. I just play with her tongue on the outside.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #16 
Twilight Storm

I despise Facebook.

Enough Said.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #17 
Twilight Storm

I got a lot of water fern aka Azolla, from our local pet store. They had a tub/pond outside just FULL of the stuff!!! When I went outside with an employee I stopped in shock at having seen the tub and the only thing that came out of my mouth was "Ohhhhhh! What's that?"
LOL!!!! The employee said it was duckweed, but I never remembered seeing duckweed that was so pretty and lacey, so I figured I would look it up when I got home.

(It looks like green rolling hills of velvet moss when it is thickly covering a pond of water!!!)

Azolla:

Azolla, otherwise known as water fern or mosquito plant is actually really neat. I think it looks better then duckweed and from a search on wiki it even might be responsible for reversing the greenhouse effect 55 million years ago. For over 1000 years it's been planted in the rice paddies in China to block out weeds and to fix nitrogen in the fields. I guess, given the right conditions, it can double every 3 days. I will definitely have to watch these little suckers if they like my tanks so they don't block out what little light I have. I may make floating Styrofoam cup rings and place the plants in the rings to make sure that I have surface area for light to get through the water.

Since the plant does well with high phosphorus in the water and it has a symbiotic relationship to cyanobacterium. I guess they work together with each other and fix atmospheric nitrogen so it gives the plant access to that nutrient. Since I seem to be having a cyanobacteria problem with high phosphorus at the moment, I believe this little floater should take off in my water!

Azolla is considered a noxious invasive plant in southern states where it does not freeze, and from pond care websites it is hated for its ability to cover the water and block out light to your oxygenator plants below the water. One site kept saying it will kill your anacharis really quickly due to how thick it can get. Most of these site owners wage war on the little plants if they appear in their ponds.

I also picked up a small bundle of anacharis which looks kind of... well not too healthy...but maybe it will come back. They had pretty looking hornwort bundles so I picked up one of those. It seems like it will be messy with how it lets loose the little needles, but I am still going to try it out in an aquarium. My water lettuce also split 5 babies outside. I broke them off the mother lettuce and placed them in a separate container. I think I will try one out inside under my aquarium lights. I will leave the others outside to hopefully reproduce more. I plan on bringing them in before winter hits since they are only available seasonally here. Oh, I also found they had a bunch of java moss (!!!!) in their back aquarium and I got the whole bunch of it. I guess they get it from people who are trading it in, so it's very hit and miss with the java moss. When I opened the bag I found there was a light sprinkling (Probably about 10 little plants) of actual duckweed in the bag that must have stuck to the moss when he was getting it out of the tank... I've never had luck with duckweed, my fish eat it I think. I will see how it goes.....

I am taking all the stuff out of baby bettas 5 gallon, and I am going to put some plants in there this evening or tomorrow until I can throw together a 10 gallon with a single fluorescent bulb hood. (bleh) I will run and get one tomorrow since I am never going to see Petco come through with my 29 gallon light order!!!! If they do, the fluorescent hood only costs like $30 or less i'm sure at my local pet store for a 10 gallon.

I got IBC welcome letter and membership card today too with the nifty bumper stickers I was not expecting. :) Not sure when I will get them on my car, seeing as I don't know when my vision will clear up enough in my eye so I can drive again.

I hope all these neat little beauties do ok for me.

Edited to add:

Possible odd fact:
I guess the water fern (Azolla) is also known as a child killer in southern states? (from a website) because children think the green carpet of moss/fernlets are solid ground and go running into the water to drown... Had to end my post on a happy thought right? lol

Last edited by Twilight Storm; 07-09-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:11 AM   #18 
Twilight Storm

Went to get a cheap fluorescent hood for one of the 10 gallons today and the local pet store had none..... They tacked it on an order I had already placed. I know they will get stuff in that they order at least.

I should have picked up the yellow veil tail I saw there the other day.... He was gone today.... Not that I need more pet bettas, in fact I swore off them... but that little yellow guy picked me when I was there. It was so hard to walk away. He was a great looking yellow VT.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #19 
Twilight Storm

Never ending cleaning getting ready for 10 family members that decided to come over and visit with 2 days notice....... They wanted to stay over ??!! wtf ???!! So they decided they will just come for lunch........ I had to cancel a doctors appointment mind you that I owe $180 bucks now for not even SEEING the darn doctor.... It makes me want to clean up the yard and use the dog doo to make their "lunch"..... They feel it's great to stop by seeing as they are traveling past Illinois on their way to wherever..... So flipping SWEET of them to give me enough time to get the house ready for that freaking many people, and to find out if I had things to do that day that was convenient for THEM.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #20 
Twilight Storm

Did I mention that they invited themselves?

Oh, and that's not all, since it's family that none of the family here has seen in a while add 5 more to the count of people who will be here. Why couldn't they go to their house?

Tags
4 gallon bottle, barracks idea, re-use