Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #1 
Sam I Am

Tail biter?

I've got a question. Last night I was at my local Petsmart and couldn't help but look at the bettas (you all know what I'm talking about). I found the most beautiful violet male ?VT. The problem is, he was missing most of his tail fin. I had previously looked on this site regarding fin rot, and I don't think that's what he has. What was left of the tail was smooth on the edges, not ragged at all, and was not discolored. There was even some clear tissue on the end of the tail (maybe he's starting to heal?). I asked if they discounted fish with issues at all and they're checking today for me. But my question is...I'm fairly new at dealing with bettas. I've had bettas for a few months and have successfully raised 1 baby betta to adulthood, 1 baby betta is a juvie, and 1 baby betta has been with me for a week and a half and is thriving. But I wouldn't say I'm experienced by any means. Would I be in way over my head with a tail biter or is it do-able?

Right away he would be in a 1/2 gallon unfiltered betta tank. (I have a 1 gallon that would eventually be his, but it's occupied at the moment and that betta won't be moving for at least another week or two.) I know this isn't ideal but it would have fake plants and clean, frequent water changes, which I think is a step up from the dirty little cup he's in now. Also, my bettas live in the main living area of our house so there's stimulation/interaction from us frequently.

What do you think? Any comments/suggestions/opinions? I really want to be a good pet parent and if this is really complex and over my head I would like to know.

Thanks!
Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #2 
ZackyBear

I personally think, as long as the betta has room to move around and you're willing to do water changes strictly every other day then the temporary housing would be fine. There's no way to properly heat something that small, so i recommend using HOT water to wash the tank and then filling it with water no less than 84 degrees. That way by the next water change it will still be warm enough (especially if you do a 50% one day then a 100% the next).

Also, in order to really tell if it's fin rot we might need a picture, but so far it sounds like he is just bitting his tail out of boredom. Being stuck in a cup can do that to a betta.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #3 
Sam I Am

Well, it appears that I will be the new owner of my handsome violet male! I just called our Petsmart and they are going to give him to me for free since his tail fin is almost gone. Now, hopefully getting him out of that little cup will fix him up but any and all advice is more than welcome. I do have stress coat + which I will add to his water double dose (I read here somewhere that I should do that to help regrow fins). Any other advice??
Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #4 
ZackyBear

Just keep his water clean and keep up with the water changes + warm water and your boy will be happy. Upgrade him as soon as you can :3

Though I don't know about the double-dosage of stress coat! you'd have to ask someone else.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote