Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? ~77
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One betta pellets, sometimes frozen or FD bloodworms as a treat
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? It hasn't
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Very skittish. This morning when he went to swim he kind of wiggled like a snake instead of swimming normally. After that he seemed to swim fine.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Skittishness about four days ago. The slithering movement this morning. I thought he was just a skittish fish, but now I'm concerned.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I haven't
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure. I've had him a bit less than two weeks

Brahms, the fish I bought at the same time as Mozart, just died. I didn't notice any real symptoms other than skitthsness, so now I'm pretty worried about Mozart. :/
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #2 
ANHEL123

Is he eating at all?
Is Mozart in the same tank that Brahms is(divided tank?)
Did you share anything between them (net or changing cup...)
You wrote he is wiggled instead of swimming normally, is he bloated?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #3 
AngesRadieux

They were in separate tanks and had their own cups. He doesn't look bloated at all. Other than the odd movement this morning and skittishness I don't really see symptoms. But I got him and Brahms from the same store on the same day so I'm fearful that there was something going around at the store that's starting to catch up with Mozart now.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #4 
ANHEL123

Don't know what it is. But if he started to show the same symptoms as your other fish i would really treat it with aquarium salt before it too late. Not sure how long it took Brahms to die, but sometimes it really fast.

I spoke to someone on the forum Sena and she wrote one time that she had fish and no one could figure out what wrong … She took quick action and decided to use aq salt and it helped. It will support his immune system.

Do you know instructions on that?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #5 
AngesRadieux

I have aquarium salt and I know how to use it. Though I tend to use a pretty conservative amount. I'll start treatment with that as soon as I get home. He's due for a water change anyway. I'm thinking of picking up something for parasites, too. Since there aren't any external signs I'm wondering if there's a possibility of internal parasites.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #6 
ANHEL123

Usually with internal parasites they will be bloated and fish would be in very bad condition. A lot of time fish would have white, clear stringy, wormy like poop.

Also with internal parasites it will really take tame for fish to die. Yes symptoms can take long time onset though...

I really don't think he has internal parasites. You don't want to treat him with wrong medications for the wrong reason and still have problem. You can buy it if it make you feel better that you has it in case you need it. Just make sure you can return it.

I think Tetra Parasite Clear, i read jungle brand also is good. Just make sure it for internal parasites.

Also I would recommend 2 tsp/gall of aq pre mix before you are using it.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #7 
AngesRadieux

Okay. I'll stick with the salt and I'll add that to his tank when I get home. I hope it helps him. Is there anything I should have on hand for him in case the salt doesn't work?
Old 06-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

Are you going to treat him in his tank?
It will be difficult for you to do daily 100% water changes. You might need to put him in the smaller container or just lower the water in the tank.
When did you do last water change?
I would change his water completely with pre mixed aq salt. But make sure the temp approx +-2* the same and really TAKE TIME to acclimate him.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #9 
AngesRadieux

I just did a complete water change. He's currently acclimating to his new tank water, which has been treated with 2tsp aquarium salt per gallon. I'm going to treat him in his tank, as the three gallon tank is easy enough to carry back and forth to the sink and I don't find water changes in it too cumbersome. I do have to go and buy some silk plants for him. I had put live ones in his tank, but I'm afraid that the salt will kill the plants so I took those out and I fear he'll feel very insecure without cover from some plants.

It could be my imagination, but I think he looks better already even though he's still in a cup that's part old tank water and part new water with salt. His color seems less washed out to me. I'm hopeful that 7-10 days in aquarium salt will be quite good for him.

Last edited by AngesRadieux; 06-15-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #10 
ANHEL123

ok i like to wait until i know for sure that something is working out, then i usually say it working!!! So i hope it will work for him. Sorry that I am so pessimistic just want it to work.

I would not recommend to put anything new in his tank until you know for sure he is fine.

Live plants as far as i know from reading on this forum not aquarium salt tolerant.
It good idea to take them out and put in the water with NO water conditioner. That way you sort of quarantine them also. Leave them for 2-3 week in quarantine. They may die though. Some plants will die some will survive. Not sure which though.