Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #1 
inareverie85

A Little Problem With my New Imports...

I ordered a few Thailand fish (my first time), and they came in today :)

I have taken great pains to acclimate them well. The process is going on 4 hours now, and I still haven't quite released them yet.

One of them, probably the most beautiful and unique, however, has very tattered fins, likely bitten by himself. :( I'm a bit sad that my new boy arrived in such a condition. I guess it can't be avoided.

Is this a common problem among imports? It'll take a good long while for his fins to grow back. :(
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #2 
Bladezero

Don't know about imports from there but I've seen LPS get their shipments and around 60%-70% have bitten tails
Bladezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #3 
inareverie85

I emailed my transhipper, and she told me to mail the seller, as he'd probably want to send another fish.

Though his fins are tattered, he's the most lively of my imports so far. The other two are very lethargic thus far. I hope they perk up soon.

At least they're eating.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #4 
inareverie85

I think the acclimation process was hard on this fish. :( I went to feed them today, and even more of his tail has been bitten off. :( Guess I'll never get to enjoy the beautiful tail I saw in the photos.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #5 
Twilight Storm

I'm not positive mind you, but I asked an employee of Petco about their shipments when ours had an entire aisle of bettas. (before the remodel) They said the bettas come in, in tiny triangle bags barely bigger then the fish. (I know that isn't really specific but I have never been allowed to watch a shipment being unpacked... I asked though, lol)

One of the Thailand sellers on Aquabid has a video, and shows the small shipping bags and the machine that seals them too, as well as details on their care on a fish farm. I watched the entire thing although I couldn't understand any of it, it's in Thai, it was still interesting to see how they worked the farm to me.

I don't know where I came across the info anymore but if the fish you got were half moons I read it's pretty common to have them bite their fins in the tiny mass shipment bags. In the tiny bags before the transhipper gets them, their fins are right in their face and the stress of shipping can cause them to bite them.

If I can find where I found this I will PM you the details. I lost the contents of my HD a while back from reinstalling Windows so I don't have old things saved anymore. At the very least, I'm sure I can find you the aquabid video though.

I hope your new boy stops biting his fins though. :(
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #6 
Twilight Storm

Edit to add:
I found the video from Sirinutbettafarm. Stick with it through the whole video. (it's a kids program and you learn how to make a straw placemat at one point.) The packing for shipping is at the end.
The betta cartoons have got to be the cutest things to me LOL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29i6i...layer_embedded

You can also watch it on their aquabid fish pages.

Found the site I should have known its good ole' betty Splendins ;)

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...articleid=1113

Hope this helps some. If not sorry. At the very least... you can learn how to make a placemat out of straws! ;)

Last edited by Twilight Storm; 06-15-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:02 AM   #7 
inareverie85

Thanks for the info. :D

The seller is sending another betta like him, so he'll have his brother in my fish room, too :o

He's due for his first 100% water change tomorrow. I hope it doesn't make matters worse, but I certainly can't neglect the cleanliness of his tank now.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:40 AM   #8 
IndeedPanda

Do you have a picture of your pretty fish? That seller sounds like he has good customer service skills.
IndeedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:49 AM   #9 
Bladezero

They arrive to LPS usually in bags with a cup of water and air sealed in(its the size of the fish + 20%.
Bladezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:08 AM   #10 
Twilight Storm

Wow, you have a beyond amazing extremely super seller! I hope his brother isn't so unhappy with shipping,

And is that in Petco, Bladezero? Or before transhipper?

Edited to add: I just noticed your location! I don't even know if Israel has transhippers or Petco. :)

Last edited by Twilight Storm; 06-16-2012 at 06:12 AM.