Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #1 
Yaoilover12397

Tank Set Up?

These are some pictures of my set up so far for my spawn tank. What do you all think? Advice?
Yaoilover12397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #2 
bettalover2033

If your filter is bubbling, I'd suggest you lower the bubbling to the lowest setting or if you can't, then just turn it off until your fry reach 2 weeks. Your water also looks a bit cloudy. Did you clean it completely? Did you clean the marimo balls correctly? Other than that, your tank looks fine.

Also if you have a styrofoam cup, I'd suggest cutting it in half and putting it in the tank since makes need a secure place to build their nest. It's much better since it will hold the bubble nest a lot better and he'll be much more likely t do a lot less work becaus ear bubbles won't pop so much.

I hope that you have done your research. Really there are too many people that are breeding with little information.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #3 
Yaoilover12397

Oh yes XD This isn't a full set up, just a budding set up one. I have a huge bag of IAL as well as styrofoam cups. I'm going to see if i can lower the bubbling. I did both, I think it just needed to settle and filter a little.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #4 
bettalover2033

That's great to hear. So far all of my males just absolutely love the IAL for bubblenesting. I'd love to see what the pair looks like if you've chosen one yet.

Good luck!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #5 
Yaoilover12397

I haven't yet I'm afraid. I have more females coming and maybe a male or two coming.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #6 
jeffegg2

Cool

I suggest more escape places for the female. I am a big believer in java moss. She can embed herself into it and escape...

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #7 
Yaoilover12397

The issue is I don't think I can get java moss in my area and after getting bad shipping of plants last time my mom refuses to ship pants
Old 06-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #8 
jeffegg2

Cool

Well, one technique that I used to use years ago.... was a wall of styro with a one inch hole in it that separates two sides of the spawning tank. She can run to the other side through the hole and be out of sight.

Even then more obstacles for her to hide behind are better...

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #9 
bettalover2033

With such a barrier, the male or female can become uninterested. When they can see each other, its much better because there will be little or no distractions. That decor being used as a hiding position for the female is fine, but IMO, would be much safer for the female to get away from the male chasing her if it was in a corner.

I learned that using too many hiding places for the female can result in the male becoming uninterested, more aggressive (my guess is from frustration), or the female hiding too much.

I've also learned that when the female has a low number of hiding places, the pair tend to spawn faster (as in less amount of days).

Its kind of just personal preference. I have also tried this method of using the styro wall a few years ago, but it seemed to prolong the spawn so I would suggest not using the styro wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffegg2 View Post
Well, one technique that I used to use years ago.... was a wall of styro with a one inch hole in it that separates two sides of the spawning tank. She can run to the other side through the hole and be out of sight.

Even then more obstacles for her to hide behind are better...

Jeff.